Professor of Mechanical Engineering - Perry Excellence Scholar
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 2186
- Diplom Ingenieur University of Leoben, Austria, '90
- Ph.D. University of Leoben, Austria, '94
- Solid mechanics, multiscale and multiphysics modeling.
- Design of engineering material systems.
- Fracture and fatigue.
- Microarchitectured materials.
- Biomechanics of soft and hard tissues.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2017 President Society of Engineering Science
- 2013-2015 NSF Program Director
- 2012 Fellow of ASME 2012
- 2011 Purdue University Faculty Fellow Study in a Second Discipline
- 2011 Outstanding Faculty Mentor Purdue LSMAPS Summer research program.
- 2009 Purdue Acorn Award for Contribution to the Purdue Research Enterprise.
- 2008 Purdue Acorn Award for Contribution to the Purdue Research Enterprise.
- 2008 Ruth and Joel Spira Award, Purdue University.
- 2004-2008 Purdue University Faculty Scholar.
- 2004 Discovery in Mechanical Engineering Award, Purdue University.
- 2003 Purdue Teach for Tomorrow Award.
- 1997-1999 Lecturer of the Federation of European Materials Societies (FEMS).
- 1995-1996 Erwin Schroedinger Fellowship, Austrian Science Foundation.
Ten Select Publications
S. Varanasi, T. Siegmund, J.S. Bolton, “Experiments on the low frequency barrier characteristics of cellular metamaterial panels in a diffuse sound field” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 141 (2017) 602-610.
J. Kukreja, T. Nguyen, T. Siegmund, W. Chen, W. Tsutsui, K. Balakrishnan, H. Liao, N. Parab, “Crash analysis of a conceptual electric vehicle with a damage tolerant battery pack,” Extreme Mechanics Letters 9 (2016) 371-378.
P. Seiler, J. Kruzic, V. Tomar, T. Siegmund, “Stationary and propagating cracks in a strain gradient visco-plastic solid," International Journal of Fracture 202 (2016) 111-125.
Y. Chen, A. Ridruejo, C. Gonzalez, J. Llorca, T. Siegmund, “Notch effect in fracture of fiberglass non-woven materials,” International Journal of Solids and Structures 96 (2016) 254-264.
T. N. Nguyen, T. Siegmund, W. Tsutsui, H. Liao, W. Chen “Bi-objective optimal design of a damage-tolerant multifunctional battery system,” Materials and Design 105 (2016) 51-65.
T. Siegmund, F. Barthelat, RJ. Cipra, E. Habtour, J. Riddick, “Manufacture and mechanics of topologically interlocked material assemblies” ASME Applied Mechanics Reviews 68 (2016) 040803.
W. Tsutsui, T. Nguyen, H. Liao, N. Parab, J. Kukreja, T. Siegmund, W. Chen, “Mechanical energy dissipation in a multifunctional battery system," MRS Advances 6 (2016) 381-388.
P. Bhattacharya, J. Kelleher, T. Siegmund, “Role of gradients in vocal fold elastic modulus on phonation,” Journal of Biomechanics 48 (2015) 3356-3362.
P. Bhattacharya, T. Siegmund, “The role of glottal surface adhesion in vocal fold biomechanics.” Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology 14 (2015) 283-295.
S. Khandelwal, R.J. Cipra, J.S. Bolton, T. Siegmund, “Adaptive mechanical properties of topologically interlocking material systems,” Smart Materials and Structures 24 (2015) 045037.