Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 3180, HOVD 339
- B.S. IIT Madras, '85
- M.S. Ohio State, '86
- Ph.D. California-Berkeley, '89
- High-performance cooling technologies
- Thermal microsystems
- Energy efficiency in computing and electronics
- Micro- and nano-scale transport phenomena
- Solar thermal energy storage
- Materials processing
Awards and Recognitions
- Fellow, National Academy of Inventors, 2017
- 2016 ITHERM Achievement Award, IEEE Intersociety Conference on Thermal and Thermomechanical Phenomena in Electronic Systems (ITherm), presented biennially in recognition of significant contributions made in thermal and thermomechanical management of electronics, June 2016
- Charles Russ Richards Memorial Award, Pi Tau Sigma and American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2014
- 75th Anniversary Medal, ASME Heat Transfer Division, 2013
- Provost’s Award for Outstanding Graduate Mentor, Purdue University, 2012
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2011
- Senior Fellow, Energy and Climate Partnership of the Americas (ECPA), 2011
- Alexander Schwarzkopf Prize for Technology Innovation, National Science Foundation Industry University Cooperative Research Center (IUCRC) Association, 2011
- Faculty Award of Excellence for Mentoring, Purdue University College of Engineering, 2011
- ASME Heat Transfer Memorial Award, 2010
- Jefferson Science Fellow , U.S. Department of State, 2010
- Distinguished Alumnus Award of IIT Madras, 2010
- Allan Kraus Thermal Management Medal, ASME, 2009
- The Harvey Rosten Award for Excellence, IEEE, 2009
- Ruth and Joel Spira Award, School of Mechanical Engineering, Purdue University, 2009
- Gustus L. Larson Memorial Award, ASME, 2004
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2002
- K16 Clock Award, ASME Heat Transfer Division’s K-16 Committee, 2006
- Fellow, Center of Smart Interfaces, Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany, 2008
- UWM Outstanding Teaching Award, 1997
- Graduate School/UWM Foundation Research Award, 1995
- Outstanding Teaching Award, College of Engineering and Applied Science, UW-Milwaukee, 1992
Ten Select Publications
X. Chen, J. A. Weibel and S. V. Garimella, "Exploiting Microscale Roughness on Hierarchical Superhydrophobic Copper Surfaces for Enhanced Dropwise Condensation," Advanced Materials Interfaces Vol. 2, 1400480 (6 pp), 2015.
S. M. Flueckiger, B. D. Iverson, S. V. Garimella, and J. E. Pacheco, "System-Level Simulation of a Solar Power Tower Plant with Thermocline Thermal Energy Storage," Applied Energy Vol. 113, pp. 86-96, 2014.
K. K. Bodla, J. A. Weibel and S. V. Garimella, "Advances in Fluid and Thermal Transport Property Analysis and Design of Sintered Porous Wick Microstructures," ASME Journal of Heat Transfer 135: 061202 (13 pp), 2013.
M. J. Rau and S. V. Garimella, "Local Two-Phase Heat Transfer from Arrays of Submerged and Confined Impinging Jets," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 67: 487-498, 2013.
Z. Pan, S. Dash, J. A. Weibel and S. V Garimella, "Assessment of Water Droplet Evaporation Mechanisms on Hydrophobic and Superhydrophobic Substrates," Langmuir Vol. 29, pp. 15831-15841, 2013.
T. Harirchian and S. V. Garimella, "A Comprehensive Flow Regime Map for Microchannel Flow Boiling with Quantitative Transition Criteria," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 53:2694-2702, 2010.
N. Kumari, V. Bahadur and S. V. Garimella, "Electrical Actuation of Dielectric Droplets," Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering 18:085018, 2008.
B. D. Iverson and S. V. Garimella, "Recent Advances in Microscale Pumping Technologies: A Review and Evaluation," Microfluidics and Nanofluidics Vol. 5, pp. 145-174, 2008.
S. V. Garimella, V. Singhal and D. Liu, "On-Chip Thermal Management with Microchannel Heat Sinks and Integrated Micropumps," Proceedings of the IEEE 94:1534-1548, 2006.
P.S. Lee, S. V. Garimella and D. Liu, "Investigation of Heat Transfer in Rectangular Microchannels," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 48:1688-1704, 2005.