Donald W. Feddersen Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering (by courtesy), Professor of Educational Studies, College of Education (by courtesy)
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 3176
- B.S. IIT Madras, '85
- M.S. Ohio State, '87
- Ph.D. Stanford, '91
- Human Skill and Augmentation
- Collaborative and Hybridized Intelligence
- Deep Learning of Shapes and Computer Vision
- Human-Robot-Machine Interactions
- Making to Manufacturing (M2M)
- Factory of the Future and Robotics
- Manufacturing Productivity
Awards and Recognitions
- NSF Invited lecture: Makers-to-Manufacturing, Washington DC, VA, 2018
- NSF Invited Panelist: Research Needs in Machining and Machine Tools, DC, VA, 2018
- General Motors Distinguished Lecture, Georgia Tech., Atlanta, GA, 2018
- NSF Invited lecture: Cyber Learning, Washington DC, VA, 2017
- NSF Invited lecture: Next Generation Smarter Service Systems, San Jose, CA, 2017
- Google Invited Lecture: Mountain View, CA, 2017
- Amazon Invited Lecture: Palo Alto, CA, 2017
- Lindbergh Distinguished Lecture, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2016
- Best of Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2016) Finalist (ZeroUI), 2016
- Highly Cited Author Award from Elsevier Computer-Aided Design Journal, 2015
- Distinguished Lecturer, Designing Disruptive Learning Technologies, NSF, 2014
- Research Excellence Award, ASME Computers and Information in Engineering Division, 2014
- Kos Ishii Toshiba Award, ASME, 2013
- Distance Educator Award, Purdue University, 2013
- Design for Manufacturing and Lifecycle Best Paper Award, 2013
- Purdue Innovators Hall of Fame, 2013
- Ruth and Joel Spira Award, Outstanding Contributions to the ME (two time awardee), 2012
- All Conference Best Paper Award, ASME IDETC, Computers and Information in Eng., 2011
- Donald W. Feddersen Professor of Mechanical Engineering, 2010
- Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2010
- Best Student Paper Award, Computer-Aided Design and Applications, 2010
- Three of the top ten most cited paper awards, Computer-Aided Design Journal, 2010
- Outstanding Commercialization Award for Purdue University Faculty, 2010
- Best Paper Award, ASME IDETC, Computers and Information in Eng./CAPPD, 2009
- Most Highly Cited paper in the Journal of Computer-Aided Design (Elsevier), 2006
- Most Highly Cited paper in the Journal of Computer-Aided Design (Elsevier), 2007
- Thomas French Award, The Ohio State University, 2007
- Purdue University, College of Engineering’s only Research Excellence Award, 2007
- Purdue Acorn Award, 2006
- Innovation of the Year Award, Techpoint, Indiana, 2006
- Discovery in Mechanical Engineering Award, 2005
- University Faculty Scholar, Purdue University, 2002
- Society for Manufacturing Engineers, Outstanding Young Manufacturing Engineer, 1999
- Ruth and Joel Spira Award, Outstanding Contributions to ME Curriculum, Purdue University, 1997
- Faculty Study in Second Discipline Award, Purdue University, 1997
- Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award, Society of Automotive Engineers, 1996
- National Science Foundation CAREER Award, 1996
- National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award, 1993
- Dupont Young Faculty Award, 1992
- Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineering Student Award, 1991
- Best Academic Record Award for Junior and Senior Year, IIT Madras, India (1984-85), 1985
Ten Select Publications
Yunbo Zhang, Wei Gao, Luis Paredes, Karthik Ramani: CardBoardiZer: Creatively Customize, Articulate and Fold 3D Mesh Models. CHI 2016: 897-907.
Ayan Sinha, David F. Gleich, Karthik Ramani: Deconvolving Feedback Loops in Recommender Systems. NIPS 2016: 3243-3251.
Ayan Sinha, Jing Bai, Karthik Ramani: Deep Learning 3D Shape Surfaces Using Geometry Images. ECCV (6) 2016: 223-240.
Min Liu, Yunbo Zhang, Jing Bai, Yuanzhi Cao, Jeffrey M. Alperovich, Karthik Ramani: WireFab: Mix-Dimensional Modeling and Fabrication for 3D Mesh Models. CHI 2017: 965-976.
C. Piya, Vinayak, S. Chandrasegaran, N. Elmqvist, K. Ramani. "Co-3Deator: A Team-First Collaborative 3D Design Ideation Tool," CHI 2017, 6581-6592.
Sang Ho Yoon, Ke Huo, Yunbo Zhang, Guiming Chen, Luis Paredes, Subramanian Chidambaram, Karthik Ramani: iSoft: A Customizable Soft Sensor with Real-time Continuous Contact and Stretching Sensing. UIST 2017: 665-678
Ayan Sinha, Asim Unmesh, Qixing Huang, Karthik Ramani: SurfNet: Generating 3D Shape Surfaces Using Deep Residual Networks. CVPR 2017: 791-800.
Chiho Choi, Sangpil Kim, Karthik Ramani, Learning Hand Articulations by Hallucinating Heat Distribution In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV) 2017: 3123-3132.
Ke Huo, Yuanzhi Cao, Sang Ho Yoon, Zhuangying Xu, Guiming Chen, Karthik Ramani, Scenariot: Spatially Mapping Smart Things Within Augmented Reality Scenes, Proceedings of the 2018 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems, CHI 2018 : 219.
K Huo, T Wang, L Paredes, AM Villanueva, Y Cao, K Ramani, SynchronizAR: Instant Synchronization for Spontaneous and Spatial Collaborations in Augmented Reality, The 31st Annual ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology (UIST 2018), 19-30.