Ivan C. Christov
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 2197
- Ph.D., Northwestern University, '11
- M.S., Northwestern University, '08
- M.S., Texas A&M University, '07
- S.B., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, '05
- Fluid Mechanics
- Soft Matter
- Granular Flow
- Nonlinear Waves
- Computational Science
Awards and Recognitions
- Fulbright U.S. Scholar, 2022
- Graduate Teaching Award from the School of Mechanical Engineering, 2022
- Outstanding Engineering Instructor, recognized three times by the College (for ME309, ME509, and ME610)
- Outstanding Referee, American Physical Society, 2020
- Richard P. Feynman Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship in Theory and Computing at Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2013
- NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at Princeton University, 2011
- Walter P. Murphy Fellowship at Northwestern University, 2007
Ivan C. Christov, "Soft hydraulics: from Newtonian to complex fluid flows through compliant conduits," Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter 34 (2022) 063001, doi:10.1088/1361-648X/ac327d; preprint arXiv:2106.07164. [invited topical review]
Xiaojia Wang and Ivan C. Christov, "Reduced models of unidirectional flows in compliant rectangular ducts at finite Reynolds number," Physical of Fluids 33 (2021) 102004, doi:10.1063/5.0062252; preprint arXiv:2109.03735. [featured article in the special issue "Tribute to Frank M. White on his 88th Anniversary"]
Zongxin Yu and Ivan C. Christov, "Tuning a magnetic field to generate spinning ferrofluid droplets with controllable speed via nonlinear periodic interfacial waves," Physical Review E 103 (2021) 013103, doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.103.013103; preprint arXiv:2009.04644.
Daihui Lu, Federico Municchi and Ivan C. Christov, "The hydraulic conductivity of a shaped fracture with permeable walls", Mechanics Research Communications 111 (2021) 103650, doi:10.1016/j.mechrescom.2020.103650; preprint ESSOAr.10503684.2.
Vishal Anand, Sanjan C. Muchandimath and Ivan C. Christov, "Hydrodynamic Bulge Testing: Materials Characterization without Measuring Deformation", ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics 87 (2020) 051012, doi:10.1115/1.4046297; preprint arXiv:1910.03513.
Federico Municchi, Pranay P. Nagrani and Ivan C. Christov, "A two-fluid model for numerical simulation of shear-dominated suspension flows" International Journal of Multiphase Flow 120 (2019) 103079, doi:10.1016/j.ijmultiphaseflow.2019.07.015; preprint arXiv:1811.06972.
Ivan C. Christov, Robert J. Decker, A. Demirkaya, Vakhid A. Gani, P. G. Kevrekidis, Avinash Khare and Avadh Saxena, "Kink-Kink and Kink-Antikink Interactions with Long-Range Tails," Physical Review Letters 122 (2019) 171601, doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.122.171601; preprint arXiv:1811.07872.
Ivan C. Christov and Howard A. Stone, "Resolving a paradox of anomalous scalings in the diffusion of granular materials," Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the USA 109 (2012) 16012-16017, doi:10.1073/pnas.1211110109.
Ivan Christov and Bojan Popov, "New non-oscillatory central schemes on unstructured triangulations for hyperbolic systems of conservation laws," Journal of Computational Physics 227 (2008) 5736-5757, doi:10.1016/j.jcp.2008.02.007.