Resources for Students who have tested Positive for COVID-19

Protect Purdue website

You’ve been exposed to COVID-19 and believe you need a test. What should you do?

If you are contacted by a contract tracer, follow their instructions and guidelines for testing. If you believe you are in of need testing, contact Protect Purdue Health Center and they will provide guidance. Protect Purdue Health Center at 765-496-INFO (4636) or 833-571-1043 (toll free) for more information

You test positive for COVD-19. How should you report it?

If the test was conducted off campus contact the Protect Purdue Health Center to report the confirmed case. Protect Purdue Health Center at 765-496-INFO (4636) or 833-571-1043 (toll free) for more information.

How do you notify professors that you will be missing class due to testing positive for COVID-19?

The Office of the Dean of Students can assist a student in notifying instructors that they will not be attending class temporarily. Email . The student does not need to share medical information with their instructors but should let them know how long they expect to be learning remotely or not attending class.

What if I cannot fulfill my TA duties?

Notify your course supervisor immediately, and the ME Grad office.

What if I can’t be on campus to continue my research?

Notify your PI or advisor and let them know that you will be unable to be on campus to continue your research.  You might however, be able to do writing or data analysis during this time to continue progress.

HR Questions regarding COVID for RAs & TAs

You’ve contracted COVID-19. What type of sick leave do you have?

Latest info:

More info is under "Human Resources" at this page:

Do students qualify for FMLA?

Graduate students that are employed at least 1/2 time are eligible for FMLA leave if they meet all the requirements. The “Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993” provides provision for time off for an employee’s own serious health condition, to take care of a family member with a serious health condition, to give birth, to adopt, or to place a child in the employee’s home for foster care. In order to be eligible for leave, under the FMLA, graduate staff must have been employed at Purdue for 12 months, consecutive or non-consecutive, and have worked at least 1,250 hours in the 12 months preceding the date leave commences. FMLA states that up to 12 work-weeks of leave per year are available. If the leave is taken for an employee’s own serious health condition or a family member’s serious health condition, and the employee has accrued unused paid sick leave and qualifies for paid sick leave, the employee must use the paid sick leave during the FMLA leave. A request for FMLA leave should be initiated through the Success Factors system. Further information on FMLA is available by contacting or Human Resources – Employee Benefits at 765-494-2222 or e-mail at

Other Concerns

What if a student runs into problems with an instructor or advisor during a COVID-19 absence?

Students are encouraged to speak to Dr. Key about the situation. The Office of Graduate Assistance (OGA) is also available to meet with Purdue University graduate students to assist them in addressing a variety of issues that may arise during the course of a student's time at the University. The OGA will provide impartial, independent, and informal assistance with reference to your concerns based on our knowledge of University policy, practice and personnel without judgment. To set up a face-to-face or virtual meeting contact:


ME Graduate Office
585 Purdue Mall (Room 1003)
West Lafayette, IN 47907
(765) 494-5730