Heat and Mass Transfer Area Examination
The examination will consist of two parts: a closed-book (closed-notes) and an open-book (open-notes) portion with problems covering the basics of heat and mass transfer as taught in ME 315. The total duration of the examination will be three hours. (Incropera and DeWitt is used as the textbook).
An oral examination of one hour may be recommended after the written examination for the benefit to those students who perform marginally on the written examination. This oral examination will be taken within one week after the written examination. The subject of the oral examination will be predicated on the written performance.
A list of specific subjects is given below. A good review for this examination would be a review of the texts and homework problems used in ME 315.
Specific subjects covered in ME 315 and included in the examination are:
- Heat Transfer by Diffusion
- Heat Transfer by Convection
- Mass Transfer by Convection
- Heat Transfer by Radiation
- Heat Transfer by Boiling and Condensation
- Equipment Applications (i.e., heat exchangers, humidifiers, fins, etc.)
- Multimode Heat and Mass Transfer Problems
Reference Incropera, F.P. and DeWitt, D. P., Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer, 4th Ed., John Wiley and Sons, NY, 1996.