Global Engineering Alliance for Research and Education (GEARE)
The GEARE program provides the ultimate global engineering experience for ME students. It includes one domestic internship (12 weeks), one international internship (12 weeks), one semester of study abroad at an international GEARE partner institution, and two semesters of global design team project course (one semester at home university, one abroad with design teams that include students from international partner institutions). Students who complete the GEARE program are eligible to receive the Global Engineering Study (GES) minor. The GEARE program is administered by the Office of Professional Practice with support from ME staff and faculty.
- Maintain 3.0 cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete 12 credits of college level second language (associated with the study abroad anr/or internship destination) courses before going abroad.
- Follow approved plan of study.
You will pay the normal Purdue University tuition and fees during the study abroad semester. A travel grant is available that will help pay for your travel and living expenses overseas. In addition, both internships are paid. During your away semester, you will be considered as a full-time registered student at Purdue University, which should not impact scholarship or financial aide eligibility.
- No impact to time-to-graduation - sample plan-of-study (POS)
- Specific to location, a few courses at each partner institution have been qualified to transfer for core Purdue ME courses.
ME GEARE Locations
- China - Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU)
- Germany - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- The program is designed to receive applicants during the 2nd semester of their freshman year, but can accommodate students with language qualifications in the sophomore semesters.
- Interested students should contact Office of Professional Practice for application and program details. For details associated with specific ME GEARE locations, students should contact Jerry Matthews or Professor Charles Krousgrill.