Yung C. Shin
Donald A. and Nancy G. Roach Professor of Advanced Manufacturing
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME G082
- B.S. Seoul National, '76
- M.S. KAIST, '78
- Ph.D. Wisconsin, '84
- Laser additive manufacturing
- Ultrafast laser matter interaction
- Laser welding
- Laser assisted machining
- Laser shock peening
- Multi-physics, multi-scale modeling
- Micro-nano manufacturing
Awards and Recognitions
- Manufacturing LEAD excellence award, SME, 1997.
- Voted as Best Reviewer for ASME J. of Manufacturing Science and Engineering 2001.
- Listed in Who’s Who in America, Science and Engineering, 5th Edition, MARQUIS.
- Listed in Who’s Who in America, 55th Edition, MARQUIS, 2001, 2006-2011.
- Listed in Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, MARQUIS WHO’S WHO, 2002-2003, 2005-2006 (8th), 2010.
- University Seeds of Excellence Award, 2005.
- Blackall Machine Tool and Gage Award, the best paper award for the ASME Manufacturing Engineering Division, Journal of Manufacturing Science and Engineering, Transactions of the ASME, 2007.
- Donald A. and Nancy G. Roach Endowed Chair Professor of Advanced Manufacturing, 2008- present.
- Outstanding Achievement Award for the 2008 Indiana 21st Century Research & Technology Fund.
- Fellow, ASME, 2010.
- Fellow, Society of Manufacturing Engineers, 2012.
- Best paper of the year award, Journal of Laser Applications, Laser Institute of America, 2012.
Tan, W. and Shin, Y.C., "Analysis of Multi-Phase Interaction and Its Effect on Keyhole Dynamics with A Multi-Physics Numerical Model" Journal of Physics, Applied Physics D, 47 (2014) 345501. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/47/34/345501
Zhao, X., Cao, Y., Nian, Q., Cheng, G. and Shin, Y.C., "Control of Ablation Depth and Surface Structure in P3 Scribing of Thin-Film Solar Cells by A Picosecond Laser", Trans. of the ASME, Journal of Micro and Nano Manufacturing, 2(3), 031007, Sept., 2014. doi:10.1115/1.4027733
Ye, X. and Shin, Y.C., "Synthesis and Characterization of Fe-Based Amorphous Composite by Laser Direct Deposition", Surface and Coatings Technology, Volume 239, 25 January 2014, Pages 34-40. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2013.11.013
Zhao, X. and Shin, Y.C., "Coulomb Explosion and Early Plasma Generation during Femtosecond Laser Ablation of Silicon at High Laser Fluence", Journal of Physics, Applied Physics D, 46(33), 335501 (2013). doi:10.1088/0022-3727/46/33/335501
Cao, Y., Zhao, X. and Shin, Y.C., "Analysis of Nanosecond Laser Ablation of Aluminum with and without Phase Explosion in Air and Water", Journal of Laser Applications, Vol. 25, Issue 3, 032002 (2013). http://dx.doi.org/10.2351/1.4794032.
Ding, H. and Shin, Y.C., "Multi-physics Modeling and Simulations of Surface Microstructure Alteration in Hard Turning", Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 213, Issue 6, June 2013, Pages 877-886. dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2012.12.016.
Tan, W., Bailey, N. and Shin, Y.C., "Investigation of Keyhole Plume and Molten Pool Based on A Three-Dimensional Dynamic Model with Sharp Interface Formulation", Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Volume 46, Number 5, 6 February 2013, 055501. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/46/5/055501
Dandekar, C.R. and Shin, Y.C., "Multi-scale Modeling of Subsurface Damage in Laser-assisted Machining of Particulate Reinforced Metal Matrix Composite", Journal of Materials Processing Technology, Vol. 213, Issue 2, February 2013, Pages 153-160. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2012.09.010
Wilson, J.M. and Shin, Y.C., "Microstructure and Wear Properties of Laser-deposited Functionally Graded Inconel 690 Reinforced with TiC", Surface Coatings and Technology, Vol. 207, 25 August 2012, Pages 517-522. Doi: 10.1016/j.surfcoat.2012.07.058
Hu, W., Shin, Y.C. and King, G.B., "Characteristics of Plume Plasma and Its Effects on Ablation Depth during Ultrashort Laser Ablation of Copper in Air", Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, 45, 355204, 2012. doi:10.1088/0022-3727/45/35/355204