Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
585 Purdue Mall
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2088
Office: ME 1074
- Ph.D., Harvard Univ., '12
- M.Phys., Harvard Univ., '10
- M.Eng., Xi'an Jiaotong Univ., '08
- B.Eng., Xi'an Jiaotong Univ., '05
- Deformation, stress, plasticity, fracture
- Multiscale modeling, first-principles, molecular dynamics simulations, and finite element modeling
- In-situ experiments
- Mechanics of redox active materials - Li-ion batteries, Na-ion batteries, all-solid-state batteries
- Mechanics of polymeric materials - organic electrochromics, superelastic organic semiconductors
Awards and Recognitions
- NSF CAREER Award, 2020
- Energy Storage Materials Young Scientist Award, 2019
- Seed for Success Acorn Award, Purdue University, 2017
- Purdue Teaching for Tomorrow Fellowship, 2017
- Purdue IMPACT: Transformative teaching of Mechanics of Materials, 2016
- 3M Non-Tenured Faculty Award, 2016
- Extreme Mechanics Letters Young Investigator Award, 2016
- Haythornthwaite Research Initiation Grants, Applied Mechanics Division, ASME, 2014
Xiaokang Wang, Ke Chen, Luize Scalco de Vasconcelos, Jiazhi He, Yung C. Shin, Jianguo Mei, Kejie Zhao. Mechanical breathing in organic electrochromics. Nature Communications. 11. 211 (2020).
Luize Scalco de Vasconcelos, Nikhil Sharma, Rong Xu, Kejie Zhao. In-situ nanoindentation measurement of local mechanical behavior of composite electrodes in liquid electrolyte. Experimental Mechanics. 59, 337-347 (2019).
Rong Xu, Yang Yang, Fei Yin, Pengfei Liu, Peter Cloetens, Yijin Liu, Feng Lin, Kejie Zhao. Heterogeneous damages in Li-ion batteries: An experimental evaluation and theoretical modeling. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids. 129, 160-183 (2019).
Rong Xu, Kejie Zhao. Corrosive fracture of electrodes in Li-ion batteries. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids. 121, 258-280 (2018).
Jincheng Lei, Yaowu Hu, Zishun Liu, Gary J. Cheng, Kejie Zhao. Defects mediated corrosion in graphene coating layer. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 9, 11902-11908 (2017).
Hong Sun, Kejie Zhao. Atomistic origins of high capacity and high structural stability of polymer derived SiOC anode materials. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. 9, 35001-35009 (2017).
Luize Scalco de Vasconcelos, Rong Xu, Kejie Zhao. Operando nanoindentation: A new platform to measure the mechanical properties of electrodes during electrochemical reactions. Journal of the Electrochemical Society. 164, A3840-A3847 (2017).
Kejie Zhao, Yi Cui. Understanding the role of mechanics in energy materials: A perspective. Extreme Mechanics Letters. 9, 347-352 (2016).
Dongwoo Lee, Joost J. Vlassak, Kejie Zhao. First-principles theoretical studies and nano-calorimetry experiments on solid-state alloying of Zr-B. Nano Letters. 15, 6553-6558 (2015).
Yuefei Zhang, Yujie Li, Zhenyu Wang, Kejie Zhao. Lithiation of SiO2 in Li-ion batteries: in-situ transmission electron microscopy experiments and theoretical studies. Nano Letters. 14, 7161-7170 (2014).
Full list at Google Scholar