The Roger B. Gatewood Wing Addition
Directly in the heart of campus, the $34.5 million state-of-the-art addition is the very first Purdue building constructed to LEED certification standards. The Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) standard is set by the U.S. Green Building Council to verify that a building, like the new Gatewood Wing, was designed and built to increase energy savings, improve water efficiency, reduce CO2 emissions, improve indoor environmental quality and be thoughtful of the stewardship of resources and their impact of use.
The innovative addition adds 41,000 assignable square feet to the Mechanical Engineering Building including flexible classroom space, student commons, computer labs, student learning labs, research labs, and many other spaces that will make Purdue’s Mechanical Engineering program a leading institute in its field.
We are privileged and proud to have several alumni that have supported this new addition with utmost generosity. Roger Gatewood, Don and Catherine Feddersen, Dr. Milton B. and Betty Ruth Hollander, and corporate partner Caterpillar, Inc. have all made leadership gifts to the project.
Roger Gatewood is a 1968 graduate of the School of Mechanical Engineering, and with a long history of supporting Purdue University and ME, he made a leadership gift for the new wing in 2003. Mr. Gatewood provided additional support for the LEED certification standards in 2007. As the summer progresses, we are excited to see the building project come to fruition for students, faculty, alumni, and visitors to utilize and appreciate this fall.
Don Feddersen earned his bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from Purdue in 1956 and received an honorary doctorate in 2001. The Feddersen Lecture Hall is named in honor of their gift.
Dr. Milton B. Hollander completed his undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering at Purdue in 1951 and is a passionate supporter of Purdue. The Dr. Milton B. Hollander Tech Atrium will forever be a centerpiece for the new addition of the Mechanical Engineering Building.
Caterpillar, Inc. is known worldwide as an industry leader as well as committing themselves to be leaders in the communities where they live and work. Caterpillar continues to show Purdue its devoted support through the Gatewood Wing by way of the establishment of The Caterpillar Product Engineering and Realization Laboratory (PEARL).
We appreciate all of the gifts received to date to make this project successful. The Gatewood Wing does still have additional naming opportunities available.