Global Programs for Undergraduates in Industrial Engineering
Students are encouraged to seek global experiences while at Purdue, and there are many different opportunities available. However, students should exercise caution when pursuing programs due to several factors such as:
- Academic calendar - most countries have a different semester schedule than the U.S. For most programs, the spring semester is the best fit for IE students.
- Language of instruction - while many foreign universities offer courses in English, the selection may be very limited - especially for engineering courses.
- Differences in how IE is taught - IE programs around the world vary greatly in how courses are designed. It can be difficult to find courses that satisfy IE core requirements. Most IE students studying abroad will need to focus on programs that have courses to satisfy elective requirements.
- Academic progress - finding the best fit for a program incorporates elements from point #3 above and where a student is in their academic program at the time they consider study abroad. The earlier you consider study abroad the easier it is to design a program to fit your needs and desires.
- Minors - many students wish to pursue minors while at Purdue, and most minors require students to take courses that satisfy elective requirements. The concern is two-fold: 1. students may require extra classes to complete the minor and satisfy their desire to study abroad, and 2. many minors have restrictions as to how many courses could be taken towards the minor abroad (if this is possible at all).
- Personal interests - students should consider how the program will benefit them, personally and professionally. Length of the program, content, location, and cost should all be considered carefully.
Students interested in potentially studying abroad should contact the IE Study Abroad Liaison (Dr. Brunese) as well as talk with a Study Abroad Office advisor to consider their options. Students planning on participating in a study abroad will likely have to interact extensively with both the liaison and SA office advisor prior to their program.
Established Programs for IE:
The GEARE program is the most unique, comprehensive global program available to IE students. The following experiences are part of the GEARE program:
- Domestic internship
- International internship
- One semester of study abroad at a GEARE partner institution
- Participation in a global design team project (minimum one semester; partnered team of students from GEARE partner institution)
Students who complete the program are eligible to receive the Global Engineering Studies minor. The GEARE program is administered by the Office of Professional Practice. Dr. Brunese serves as the GEARE coordinator for the School of IE.
This program is a short-term experience over spring break in Rome, Italy. The program is a partnership between the School of IE and the School of Nursing to provide industrial engineering and nursing undergraduate students an immersive, interdisciplinary, intercultural education experience in Rome, focused on engineering and public health in the service sector, and comprised of lectures, educational tours, cultural tours, language lessons, and reflective assignments. Interested students can contact Drs. McComb, Brunese in the School of IE, or Dr. Simpson in the School of Nursing for more details.
Students can spend their spring semester of junior year at Tsinghua University. Tsinghua U. is widely considered to be one of the finest universities in mainland China as well as having the top IE program in China. Students pursuing this option will take mostly elective courses in production and logistics system design. More details are contained in the link above.
Students can spend their spring semester of junior year at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. SJTU is widely considered to be one of the finest universities in mainland China as well as having a high ranking IE program in China. Students pursuing this option will take a mixture of required and elective courses. More details are contained in the link above.
Semester Exchange at Universidad de EAFIT
Students can spend either a spring (preferred) or fall semester at Universidad EAFIT in Medellin, Colombia. EAFIT is a private university with a long history of international student exchange and international business partnerships. EAFIT does not have a traditional industrial engineering program, but rather has a focus on production engineering. They offer a wide range of courses in English from many departments, including production engineering. Students pursuing this option will take a mixture of required and elective courses. More details are contained in the link above.
Students can spend their spring semester of junior year at KTH - Swedish Royal Institute of Technology. Like Purdue, KTH is consistently ranked near the top 100 universities in the QS rankings. The School of Industrial Engineering and Management at KTH boasts specializations in Energy Technology, Industrial Management, Production Engineering, Machine Design, and Materials Science and Engineering. Students pursuing this option will take technical elective courses.
Semester/Year-long/Short-term Study Abroad (SA) Programs
The Purdue Study Abroad Office offers many destinations for Purdue students. Students are encouraged to visit the SA website to find the destination that suits you. While Dr. Brunese has some knowledge of programs and potential locations, the choice of program and country is a very personal decision for a student and students should do their research to see what is offered and how it corresponds to the factors mentioned above.
Recent Semester Exchanges Locations: (details about each location and program can be found on the Purdue Study Abroad Office website - link above)
Shanghai Jiao Tong University (China)
University of Bristol (United Kingdom)
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (Spain)
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (Germany)
IES Vienna (Austria)
Grenoble Institute of Technology (France)
National University of Singapore (Singapore)
Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (China)
University of Queensland (Australia)
Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (Australia)
Council on International Educational Exchange - Barcelona (Spain)
Council on International Educational Exchange - Brussels (Belgium)
Recent Short-Term Programs IEs have participated in: (details about each location and program can be found on the Purdue Study Abroad Office website - link above)
UNSW-Energy Tomorrow: An Engineering and Management Perspective (Australia)
Introduction to Machine Learning & Pattern Recognition (Italy)
Purdue Summer Program in Florence (Italy)
Global Entrepreneurship and Innovation (China)
There are opportunities for international internships through the Study Abroad Office as well as the Office of Professional Practice.