Requirements for Year-Round Participants
As a participant in the SURF…Year-Round program, you are required to:
- Set up a research schedule with your faculty member and conduct assigned research approximately 10 hours a week beginning the first week of the semester
- Attend meetings scheduled by the SURF program
- Write a biographical sketch, an abstract (250 words max) of your research, and a summary of your research progress, due to the SURF office prior to the end of the semester
- Make a 10-15 minute PowerPoint presentation of your research project in April, 2009. PowerPoint presentation submitted to the SURF office.
- Submit a poster to Purdue’s Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium (URPS) in April, 2009. Required only if you are continuing your research from the SURF summer program.
You are expected to:
- Forge good relationships with your research mentors (both faculty member and graduate student) and peers
- Take a proactive approach to your research and use this opportunity to develop your research skills
- Be on time to scheduled events and actively participate as needed
- Communicate to your faculty member and the SURF office any changes to your participation status during the program
- Complete the program assessment
You are encouraged to:
- Submit a poster to Purdue’s Undergraduate Research Poster Symposium (URPS) in April, 2009, encouraged for first time SURF researcher
- Seek assistance and ask questions within your lab, SURF program and Purdue University, to meet your educational and personal goals
- Take advantage of all resources available to you this semester; i.e., libraries, computer labs, professors, graduate students, other SURF students, etc.