Summer Opportunities at NIST
Applications for this program are not being accepted at this time
If you are interested in the 2018 program, please email Vicki at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 2.
For Purdue students interested in conducting research at the National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST), Purdue will submit a university proposal to recommend eligible students for the NIST Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) program. Research opportunities exist at NIST laboratories at Gaithersburg, Maryland and Boulder, Colorado. SURF NIST website
If you are interested in the NIST SURF program, please contact the Purdue SURF office.
Why apply for the NIST SURF Program?For the opportunity to...
- Participate in a competitive, prestigious program
- Receive pay to conduct research
- Receive mentorship from researchers at one of the world's leading research organizations
- Meet new friends and research colleagues from around the country
- Live and work 25 miles from intriguing Washington, D.C., OR at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains in Boulder, Colorado for the summer
Learn more about the NIST SURF program from Dalton Chaffee who participated in 2015. His experience will help answer some of your questions. Dalton Chaffee, junior in Electrical Engineering, participated in the NIST SURF program at Boulder, Colorado.
Eligibility for NIST SURF
U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply. Applicants must be a sophomore or above at Purdue in an engineering or science program, and have a GPA above 3.0.
Visit the NIST SURF website
The pre-selection process will determine which applications will be submitted to NIST along with the Purdue University proposal. Students will be selected based on academic record, application information, and letters of recommendation.
How to apply for the NIST SURF program
Students may apply for both the NIST SURF and the Purdue SURF programs. Please note, they require separate applications. Be sure to follow all instructions and meet the deadlines.
- Visit the NIST SURF website and learn about the program and the application process
- Notify the Purdue SURF office as soon as possible that you plan to apply for this program: email@example.com, 765-496-2349
- Submit the following documents to the Purdue SURF office for your NIST application
- The Student Application Information Cover Sheet found at this website: Application
- Official university transcript that includes all coursework through the current spring session
- Personal statement. Other helpful information can be found at Purdue's Online Writing Lab, Writing the Personal Statement
- Current resume
- Two letters of recommendation submitted in sealed envelopes or sent directly to the SURF office by the faculty/employer
If you have any questions, contact Purdue's SURF office:
firstname.lastname@example.org, 765-496-2349, Armstrong Room 2001.