Summer Opportunities at NIST
2015 NIST SURF
Purdue University partners with the National Institute of Standards & Technology (NIST) Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship program to provide research opportunities for Purdue students. NIST limits participation to U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Research opportunities exist at all six NIST laboratories in Gaithersburg, MD: Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology, Engineering, Information Technology, Material Measurement, Center for Neutron Research, and Physical Measurement. SURF NIST website
If you are interested in the 2015 NIST SURF program, please contact the Purdue SURF office.
Why apply for the 2015 NIST SURF Program?For the opportunity to...
- Participate in a competitive, prestigious program
- Receive pay to conduct research
- Receive mentorship from researchers at one of the world's leading research organizations
- Meet new friends and research colleagues from around the country
- Live and work 25 miles from intriguing Washington, D.C. for the summer
Learn more about the NIST SURF program from the students who participated in 2013 and 2014. Their experience will help answer some of your questions. John Epling, junior in Materials Science Engineering, joined the NIST SURF program at Gaithersburg, Maryland. Through the Colorado program, Ankur Sarkar, senior in Chemical Engineering, participated in NIST SURF at Boulder.
Eligibility for NIST SURF
U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible to apply. Applicants must be a sophomore or above, enrolled at Purdue in an engineering or science program, and have a GPA above 3.0.
Visit the NIST SURF website
Purdue SURF requirements for NIST awardees
At the end of the summer, students are required to submit a research abstract and a 2-3 page essay on their experience at NIST.
Pre-selection Application Process
The pre-selection process will determine which applications will be submitted to NIST along with the Purdue University proposal. Students will be selected based on academic record, application information, and letters of recommendation.
How to apply for the NIST SURF program
Students may apply for the 2015 NIST SURF and the Purdue SURF program at the same time. If the student does not receive the NIST award, they will be considered for the on-campus Purdue SURF program.
- Notify the Purdue SURF office as soon as possible that you plan to apply for this program: email@example.com, 765-496-2349
- If you are a past Purdue SURF participant, skip this step.
Complete the online Purdue SURF application form. On the application, you will be asked to include:
- A description of any previous undergraduate research experience
- A paragraph describing your motivation and commitment to participate in an undergraduate research program
- A paragraph of your area of research interest as it pertains to the NIST research areas, and a paragraph describing your research interest in which you want to participate if selected for the Purdue SURF program
- Submit the following documents to the Purdue SURF office:
- The Student Application Information Cover Sheet found at this website: Application
- Official university transcript which includes Fall 2014 grades & Spring 2015 course work
- Personal statement. Other helpful information can be found at Purdue's Online Writing Lab, Writing the Personal Statement
- Two letters of recommendation submitted in sealed envelopes or sent directly to the SURF office by the faculty/employer
If you have any questions, contact Purdue's SURF office: