Information for SURF Participants
Welcome to the SURF program!
Be sure to bookmark this page, as it will be continuously updated.
- Modules - These self-paced modules have been developed to help you learn positive research techniques.
- Assignments - Login to Blackboard for details and due dates of the documents you will need to submit during your SURF experience
Professional Development & Research Seminars
- Professional Development Meetings – These required workshops and seminars will help you successfully complete your research project, prepare for the SURF Research Symposium, and make the most of your SURF summer. Login to Blackboard for the schedule.
- Research Seminars – SURF students are required to attend at least 4 of these seminars. The National Academy of Engineering (NAE) has identified 14 grand challenges for in the 21st century. The SURF program is holding a series of research seminars covering a range of topics related to the grand challenges. There are four themes for the research seminars: sustainability, health, security, and joy of living. You are encouraged to attend at least one research seminar related to each theme.
Events and Activities
- Events and activities - Read more about SURF organized functions.
- Community Events - Information about local events and festivals.
- Excellent writing tips from Purdue's acclaimed Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Information on research from the Purdue Library site
Human Resources Info
If you have opted to receive credit for your research, contact your academic advisor to register for the appropriate independent research course in your school.
If you have opted to receive a stipend during the program period, you will be paid monthly at the end of January, February, March and April. Please identify your home business office from the contact list. Your home business office is in the school where you will be conducting research. For example, if you are an ECE student but are conducting research with a Physics professor, then your home business office is the Physics Department. Your business office contact person will be able to answer questions you may have about your pay. If you want direct deposit of your checks, complete the necessary forms with your business office.
International students participating for pay must update their Glacier file. If you do not have a Glacier file, contact the SURF office. If you have specific questions about tax liability, contact Purdue’s tax department, 765-494-1697.