Designing Two-Dimensional Halide Perovskite Heterojunctions for Novel Optoelectronic Applications
|Interdisciplinary Areas:||Micro-, Nano-, and Quantum Engineering, Power, Energy, and the Environment
Two-Dimensional organic-inorganic hybrid halide perovskites are emerging semiconductor materials with excellent and widely-tunable optical and electronic properties. Unlike other 2D materials, the ionic nature of the chemical bonding and the soft lattice suggest unique chemical and physical properties. This new type of 2D material has great potential for application in low-power, high-performance and flexible optoelectronic devices, such as light-emitting diodes, photodetectors, tunneling transistors, and solar cells. To realize that, a robust synthetic strategy to fabricate large-area high quality 2D crystals and heterojunction needs to be developed. In addition, a thorough understanding of the optical and electrical properties of these new materials is necessary. In this joint project, we aim to 1) synthesize new types of 2D organic-inorganic halide perovskite heterostructures with enhanced charge carrier mobilities, lifetimes, and stability; 2) investigated the charge carrier dynamics, polaron formation, inter-layer exciton formation, and hot carrier transports properties using state-of-the-art ultrafast spectroscopy and microscopy methods. While our research interests are broad, the candidates may propose only one or a few aspects within this broad topic.
July 1, 2019
Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or related fields.
Experience in nanomaterials synthesis, structural and optical characterizations, and ultrafast spectroscopy.
Letian Dou (Chemical Engineering; email@example.com)
Libai Huang (Chemistry; firstname.lastname@example.org)
1. Enzheng Shi, Shibin Deng, Libai Huang, Letian Dou*; “Extrinsic and Dynamic Edge States of Two-Dimensional Lead Halide Perovskites”, Nature Nanotechnology 2018, under review.
2. Jia Lin, Minliang Lai, Letian Dou, Christopher S. Kley, Hong Chen, Fei Peng, Junliang Sun, Dylan Lu, Steven A. Hawks, Chenlu Xie, Fan Cui, A. Paul Alivisatos, David T. Limmer, Peidong Yang; “Thermochromic halide perovskite solar cells”, Nature Materials 2018, 17, 261-267.
3. Enzheng Shi, Yao Gao, Blake P. Finkenauer, Akriti, Aidan H. Coffey, Letian Dou*; “Two-Dimensional Halide Perovskites Nanomaterials and Heterostructures”, Chemical Society Reviews 2018, 47, 6046–6072.
4. Zhi Guo, Yan Wan, Mengjin Yang, Jordan Snaider, Kai Zhu, Libai Huang*; “Long-range hot-carrier transport in hybrid perovskites visualized by ultrafast microscopy”, Science, 2017, 356, 59-62.
5. Letian Dou, Andrew B. Wong, Yi Yu, Minliang Lai, Nikolay Kornienko, Samuel W. Eaton, Anthony Fu, Connor G. Bischak, Jie Ma, Tina Ding, Naomi S. Ginsberg, Lin-Wang Wang, A. Paul Alivisatos, Peidong Yang; “Atomically Thin Two-dimensional Organic-inorganic Hybrid Perovskites”, Science 2015, 349, 1518-1521.