School & Department Profile(s)
My current research focuses on:
- Evaluation of Online Learning
- Applications of Validity Theory to Ethical Assessment in Engineering Education
- Engineering Classroom Assessments
For a more in-depth look, check out the Publications section
Note to prospective students: Feel free to reach out, but I generally have a hard time keeping up with email. If you want to make sure I won't miss your application then: (a) apply through the ENE school, and (b) include my name in the list of faculty you are interested in working with. Best of luck!
- ENE685: Educational Methods in Engineering: (Spring 2019 - Current)
- ENGR131: Transforming Ideas to Innovation 1: (Fall 2015 - Fall 2018)
- ENE590: Special Topics: (Summer 2013, Spring 2015, Fall 2016 )
Full list of publications is available here.
Merzdorf, H.E., Zielinski, M., West, V., Bermel, P., Douglas, K.A. (2019).
A mixed method study of advanced engineering MOOC learners’ motivation and perceived barriers .
International Journal of Engineering Education.
Stites, N., Douglas, K.A., Evenhouse, D., Berger, E., DeBoer, J., & Roads, J.F.
A validation and differential item functioning (DIF) study of an abbreviated dynamics concept inventory.
International Journal of Engineering Education.(35)2, 491-509
Douglas, K.A., Zielinski, M., Diefes-Dux, H.A., Bermel, P., & Madhavan, K. (2019).
Instructors pedagogical considerations for teaching advanced STEM MOOCs.
International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning.
Douglas, K.A., Moore, T.J., Johnston, A.C., & Merzdof, H.E. (2018).
Informed designers? Students’ reflections on their engineering design process.
International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science, and Technology. 6(4), Page 443-459. DOI:10.18404/ijemst.440347
Mathis, C.A., Siverling, E.A., Moore, T.J., Douglas, K.A., & Guzey, S.S. (2018).
Supporting engineering design ideas with science and mathematics: A case study of middle school life science students.
International Journal of Education in Mathematics, Science, and Technology. Vol 6(4), Page 424-442. DOI: 10.18404/ijemst.440343
Douglas, K.A., Fernandez, T., Purzer, S., Fosmire, M., & Van Epps, A.S. (2018).
The critical-thinking engineering information literacy test (CELT): A validation study for fair use among diverse students.
International Journal of Engineering Education.34(4), 1347-1362.
- Education Research Methods Division, ASEE, Vice-Chair Elect, (Current)
- Engineering 131, Course Curator, (2016-2018)
- College of Engineering, Virtual Lab Committee, (2018-Current)
- School of Engineering Education, Graduate Committee, (2018-Current)
- EvauATE, Guest Blogger, ( 2015)
- Journal of Engineering Education, Reviewer, (2013-Current)
- International Journal of Engineering Education, Reviewer, (2014-Current )
- IEEE Frontiers in Education, Reviewer, Session Chair, ( 2013-Current)
- American Society of Engineering Education, Reviewer, ( 2013-Current)
- National Association Research for Science Teaching, Reviewer, (2013-Current)
- End of Course Survey Feedback from Over 800 MOOC Offerings and Contextualized Evaluation, University of Iowa. October 2019.
- When The Means Don't Mean Anything: Finding Insights Through Contextualized Evaluation Metrics, LWMOOCS VI 2019, Milwaukee, WI. October 2019.Keynote Speaker
- Loud and Clear: What 830 Courses Worth of Learners are Telling Us, FutureLearn Global Partner Forum, London, United Kingdom. October 2017.
- Future Learn Marketing and Research Strategies, FutureLearn/Purdue Partnership, West Lafayette, IN. February 2017. Panelist
- Validity: The Science and Ethics to Guide Assessment use in Engineering Education, University of Cincinnati. January 2017.
- Evaluating What Matters: What to Assess and How to Interpret Findings for Program Use, Annual Meeting of the National Association of Multicultural Engineering Program Advocates, West Lafayette, IN. October 2016.
- Appropriate use of Assessments Through Applications of Validity Theoretical Framework, Joint Special Session of the American Physics Teachers Conferences and Physics Education Research Conference. Sacramento, CA. July 2016. Keynote Speaker
- Summary of PERC 2016, Physics Education Research Conference. Sacramento, CA. July 2016. Panelist