SURF Participants Summer 2016
Welcome to the SURF program!
SURF is a comprehensive program that, in addition to the research you conduct in the lab, introduces you to writing professionally in your field and prepares you for presenting at a professional technical conference.
These pages will be continuously updated throughout the summer, so be sure to bookmark this page and return often for the latest information.
The SURF 2016 program has created a Blackboard site to support your learning to be a productive researcher. There you will find announcements, assignments, the seminar schedule, and resource materials. You will use your Purdue career account to log onto the SURF 2016 Blackboard site.
View the SURF 2016 Program Information and Policies.
News and Announcements
SURF Blood Drive
Wednesday, June 8, 2016Come join us in the Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering Atrium from 11:00am-4:00pm on June 8. Roll up a sleeve and help us help others!
SURF Logo Competition
Wednesday, June 15, 2016It's a SURF tradition! Each year the participants compete and vote on that year's SURF design. Be creative (we know you are!) and enter the competition.
For past News and Announcements, please see our Archives.
- Modules - These self-paced modules have been developed to help you learn positive research techniques.
- Assignments - Login to Blackboard for details and due dates of the documents you will need to submit during your SURF experience
Professional Development & Research Seminars
- Professional Development Meetings – These required workshops and seminars will help you successfully complete your research project, prepare for the SURF Research Symposium, and make the most of your SURF summer. Login to Blackboard for the schedule.
- Research Seminars – SURF students are required to attend at least 4 of these seminars. The research seminar series contains a variety of topics to introduce the SURF participants to best practices of research at Purdue and research opportunities through Purdue's graduate programs. Distinguished guest speakers from across campus will elaborate on interdisciplinary opportunities in research, entrepreneurship initiatives, and their advice to the next generation of researchers.
Events and Activities
- Events and activities - Read more about SURF organized functions.
- Community Events - Information about local events and festivals.
- Excellent writing tips from Purdue's acclaimed Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Information on research from the Purdue Library site
Human Resources Info
- Mid-Program Evaluation
- Information about your Pay
- Business Office Contact List
- Medical Insurance: Coverage during the summer
Additional Information for Students
- Purdue Information: Links to campus map, facilities and phone numbers
- Co-Rec Information: Summer membership details for Purdue's exercise facility
- Dining Options: Restaurants on and off campus
- Community Information: Links to dining, shopping and other activities
- CityBus: Schedules and route information