Travel Funds For Purdue Engineering Ph.D. Candidates
This activity under the College of Engineering’s Future Engineering Faculty and Professionals Program provides partial support to Engineering Ph.D. candidates traveling to professional conferences to present papers on their research. One goal is to give Ph.D. students who are likely to be seeking employment within the next year, particularly those seeking faculty positions, an opportunity to present results of their work and to talk with others working in the same area as well as potential collaborators, sponsors or employers. An equally important goal is for grant recipients to share information and lessons they learned at the conference with their fellow graduate students. Up to $500 is available for each trip. Funds will not be provided in advance. Students are expected to pay for the trip and then be reimbursed for up to $500 of the actual cost after they fully complete and submit the “Report on Conference Travel.”
Questions about this program should be directed to Susan Fisher, Director of Graduate Programs, College of Engineering, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requesting Funds: Preapproval Required
- Only engineering Ph.D. students who have passed their preliminary exam, or are scheduled to take their preliminary exam prior to attending the conference, are eligible to apply.
- Student must submit evidence from the conference committee of an accepted oral presentation.
- Students apply by completing the “Request for Conference Travel Funds” form available by contacting Susan Fisher, email@example.com for the form. Request the form at least one month prior to conference.
- In addition to the student’s signature, both the Advisor’s signature and the Graduate Chair’s signature are required on the form.
- Students submit the completed form to Susan Fisher in the Office of Graduate Education – either as a pdf attachment to an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or as a hard copy to ARMS 2035.
- Forms must be completed electronically. Handwritten forms will not be accepted.
- For calendar year 2015, up to 50 travel grants will be available for conferences taking place before December 31, 2015.
- Travel grant awardees will be selected on the basis of information provided on the request form with the following constraints: (1) the number of travel grants per school will be roughly proportional to the size of the school’s Ph.D. program, (2) no more than two students from any one advisor’s group will receive travel grants in a calendar year, and (3) no student will receive funds to attend more than one conference.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- In order to be reimbursed for up to $500 of the cost of the trip, the student will need to complete satisfactorily the “Report on Conference Travel” form which will be e-mailed as an attachment to the notice of approval of the grant.
- Submit the completed form, along with copies of receipts for travel, lodging, and/or registration showing a total of at least the amount of the travel grant, to Susan Fisher in the Office of Graduate Education – either as a pdf attachment to an e-mail to email@example.com. The form must be completed electronically.