Skip navigation

What are the FE/FS examinations?

In order to become a Professional Engineer or Professional (Land) Surveyor one has to pass  engineering or surveying exams. Each type of exam consists of two parts.

For engineering, the first part is the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.*

After a minimum of four years engineering experience beyond the BSxE degree, one may be entitled to participate in the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam.

For land surveying engineers, the two exams are called Fundamentals of Surveying (FS),** and the Principles and Practice of Surveying (PS) exam, respectively.

Passing of both exams is required for registration as a Professional Engineer/Surveyor.

* The FE exam is also known (mistakenly) as the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) exam.

** Formerly known as the Surveyor-in-Training (SIT) exam.