The EPICS University Consortium and EPICS in IEEE Invite You to the:
2018 Global EPICS Symposium and Workshop
June 11-13, 2018 | Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
Deadline is May 25, 2018
EPICS continues almost 20 years of workshops and gatherings of EPICS members. This year’s gathering will bring together three groups for a synergistic set of workshops, panel discussions and roundtables. These three groups are:
- New Faculty, instructors; professionals; IEEE volunteers and members; industry partners and others interested in learning about the EPICS model for Engineering/Computing-based Service-Learning and Community Engagement
- Experienced EPICS leaders, faculty, instructors, administrators, students and partners from the member institutions of the EPICS Consortium
- Indian EPICS leaders, faculty, instructors, administrators, students and partners from India including our IUCEE-EPICS institutions
The symposium and workshop has special slots for each group (Monday for those new to EPICS). Tuesday and Wednesday will be a mix of interactions between groups with opportunities for discussions around common interests.
What is EPICS?
EPICS is an approach in which multi-disciplinary design teams address needs within local and global communities through engineering-centered design. Founded at Purdue University, EPICS has been integrated into the curriculum at 42 universities and colleges and growing. EPICS in IEEE, a signature program of IEEE, empowers students to work with local service organizations to apply technical knowledge to implement solutions for a community’s unique challenges.
How You Benefit
• Gain a better understanding of EPICS and the EPICS in IEEE programs
• See real-life examples of ways EPICS can be integrated into course curriculum and capstone projects
• Develop the skills to gain institutional support, acquire community and industry sponsors, establish funding models and build a sustainable program
• Gain insights from experienced project leaders on how to engage students; identify, create and sustain projects; and conduct student assessments
• Network with established EPICS colleagues as well other interested facility members, industry and community leaders
• Learn how to make connections globally across EPICS programs
• Leave the workshop prepared to put what you learned into practice in order to grow, institutionalize or establish an EPICS program at your institution
Date: June 11-13, 2018
June 11 – for those new to EPICS
June 12-13 – for all participants (opening welcome reception on the evening of the 11th)
Where: Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana
$200 June 11-13 (includes Tuesday and Wednesday meals and Monday welcome reception)
Participants are expected to cover their lodging costs and travel to the workshop. A room block is available on Purdue’s Campus at the Purdue Union Club Hotel from June 11-13.
EPICS in IEEE and the EPICS University Consortium
EPICS in IEEE, a signature program of IEEE, empowers students to work with local service organizations to apply technical knowledge to implement solutions for a community’s unique challenges. In this way, EPICS in IEEE not only assists communities in achieving their specific local community improvement goals but also encourages students to pursue engineering for community improvement as a career.
The EPICS University Consortium supports institutions that integrate EPICS into their curriculum. Data from current institutions has shown enhanced learning of design and professional skills. Early participation in EPICS has also been correlated with increased interest and retention in engineering.
Monday, June 11
8:00 am – 12:00 pm – EPICS Consulting Corps (invitation only)
12:00 pm – 5:30 pm – Introduction to EPICS (for those new to EPICS
7:00 pm – 9:00 pm - Welcome Reception
Tuesday, June 12
8:00 am – 5:30 pm – Symposium and Workshop (all participants)
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm – Dinner (included)
Wednesday, June 13
8:00 am – 5:00 pm – Symposium and Workshop (all participants)
6:00 pm – 8:00 pm – Dinner (included)