Dr. Hastak is the Professor and Head of the Division of Construction Engineering and Management as well as Professor of Civil Engineering at Purdue University. He has been involved with the construction industry for the past 30 years where he has conducted research, taught, and assisted industry in the area of construction engineering and management including process improvement, disaster risk reduction, infrastructure management, cost control, project management decision-making, risk management, and strategic planning. Dr. Hastak is a Professional Engineer (PE) and a Certified Cost Professional (CCP). As an academic, he has worked on numerous Construction Industry Institute (CII) projects over the past 25 years.
Dr. Hastak has authored over 200 publications that relate to process improvement, project controls, capital rehabilitation planning, strategic planning and decision-making based on his work. He has co-authored a widely used book on Infrastructure Planning, Engineering, and Economics published by McGraw-Hill (2006 and 2015). He serves on the Education Board of the Association for Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE) where he is also the editor for the 6th edition of the Skills and Knowledge of Cost Engineering (2015) and the 2nd Edition of the CCP Certification Study Guide (2016).
In addition to his strong analytical skills, Dr. Hastak utilizes his verbal and written communication skills in developing training material and workshops as well as regularly teaching professional courses for the A/E/C industry.
Specializations and Key Skills
- Capital rehabilitation planning
- Risk management for Capital Projects
- Development of tools for advanced decision-making in project controls
- Continuous Process Improvement of Capital Projects
- Knowledge Management for Capital Project Delivery Systems
- Change Management for process improvement
- Strategic planning and decision-making for resolving project complexities
Representative Examples of Engagement Experience
- Principal Investigator, CII Project Team 307 – Mitigating Threats of Counterfeit Materials in the Capital Projects (2012–2014)
- Principal Investigator, CII Project Team 241 – Maximizing the Value of Construction in Pre-Project Planning (2006-2008)
- Principal Investigator, CII Project Team 214 – Cost Schedule Tradeoff (2004-2006)
- Principal Investigator, CII Project Team 193 – Radical Reduction in Project Cycle Time (2002-2004)
- Member, CII Globalization Committee (2000-2007)
- Principal Investigator, CII Research Team 154 – Electronic Simulation in Construction (1998-2001)
- Research Associate, CII RT 112 – A Framework and Practices for Cost-Effective Engineering in Capital Projects in the A/E/C Industry (1994-1995)
- Research Team Member, CII Research Team 90 – The Future Needs of the Construction Industry's Worldwide Customers (1992-1993)
- Training/Seminar Lead, Skills and Knowledge of Cost Engineering and other Project Management Topics, Organized by professional engineering organizations and private companies (1994-Present)
- Chair and Founder, Global Leadership Forum for Construction Engineering and Mgmt. Programs (2010-2013)
- Chair, ASCE Construction Research Congress (2012)
- Chair and Past Chair, National Consortium of Housing Research Centers (2008-2012)
- Experience working as a Design Engineer and construction liaison for Industrial Projects.
Education and Certifications
- BE Civil Engineering – 1987 – Nagpur University (India)
- MS Civil Engineering/Construction Engineering and Management – 1991 – University of Cincinnati (Ohio)
- PhD Civil Engineering/Construction Engineering and Management – 1994 – Purdue University (Indiana)
Advanced Certificates in
- Strategic Human Resource Management,
- Financial Management, and
- Executive Leadership