Mailing AddressesPURDUE UNIVERSITY
ARMSTRONG HALL, ROOM 1335
701 WEST STADIUM AVENUE
WEST LAFAYETTE, IN 47907-2045
Office: ARMS 1335
Ph.D., Engineering Education, Purdue University
M.A., Gifted and Talented Education, University of Connecticut
M.A., Curriculum and Instruction, Boise State University
B.E., Civil Engineering, Vanderbilt University
B.S., Mathematics, Vanderbilt University
Minor, Computer Science, Vanderbilt University
- Determine the influences on low-SES first-generation students who pursue engineering.
- Determine increased level of student understanding by teaching engineering content in context using appropriate pedagogy.
- Identify the skills and traits of an instructor that result in a positive learning experience for engineering students and determine if this approach improves retention.
- Understand what students mean by ‘caring’; measure the level of caring that positively impacts students and improves retention.
- Identify what industry participants believe are the traits or abilities that engineering students need to master to increase their success as practicing engineers in their internships and co-ops.
- Develop an Engineering Interest Instrument that identifies K-12 engineering interest and potential.
Awards, Honors, Achievements, & Memberships
- 2014 Best Teacher Award, School of Engineering Education, Purdue University
- 2013 Best Teacher Award, School of Engineering Education, Purdue University
- 2012 Faculty Fellow of the Year, Harrison Hall
- 2012 CoE Future Faculty Program Travel Award, Purdue University
- 2011 NSF GRF Travel Award
- 2010 Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- 2009 PGSG Travel Award, Purdue University
- 2009 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship award
- First NSF recipient in ENE and COE: first recipient of GRF awarded in Engineering Education by NSF
- 2009 Graduate School Incentive Grant, Purdue University
- 2009 Golden Key International Honor Society
- 2008 Frederick N. Andrews Fellowship, Purdue University
- 2008 ASEE Research Honorable Mention Award, American Society of Engineering Education 2008 IL/IN Regional Conf.
- 2008 PGSG Travel Award, Purdue University
- 2008 American Society for Engineering Education
- 2007 Frederick N. Andrews Fellowship, Purdue University
- 2007 NAGC Research Gala Doctoral-level Work-in Progress 2nd Place Award, National Association for Gifted Children 54th Annual Convention
- 2004 National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC)
- 2004 Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- 1981 Engineer-in-Training (EIT)
- 1981 Order of the Engineer
- 1979 American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- 1979 Chi Epsilon National Civil Engineering Honor Society
- 1979 The Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
- Hawkeye Channel (Cohesion, Inc.): Hewlett Packard Printer Account Executive
- Hewlett Packard Co.: LaserJet Product Engineer, LaserJet WW Training Manager, SW Supplier Channel Manager
- Arthur Anderson & Co.: Senior Management Information Consultant
- Monsanto Enviro-Chem Systems, Inc.: Structural Design Engineer I
- City of Cincinnati: Traffic Engineer I