School of Engineering Education
400 Centennial Mall Drive, Room 206
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2016
Department of Agricultural & Biological Engineering
225 South University Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2093
Office: ARMS 1333
Phone: (765) 494-3887
Fax: (765) 494-5819
Ph.D., Agricultural & Biological Engineering - Food Processing Engineering, Purdue University
M.S., Food Science, Cornell University
B.S., Food Science, Cornell University
Model-Development Sequences - Employing design research methodologies to the development, implementation, and assessment of engineering-based modeling activities, especially in first-year engineering education settings. Research focuses include student problem-solving and teaming skills development; faculty and teaching assistant development; and frameworks for developing activities, implementing them in a course, and assessing quality of student work.
Evaluation of Education Technology
- Developing and/or evaluating computer-based learning modules and their implementation. Examples:
- Quantitative cellular biology learning modules in an engineering one-credit hour supplement to a sophomore level cellular biology course.
- M-Tutor in a first-year engineering problems solving and computer tools course.
- FOODS-LIB and user's manual learning modules in a senior level food process engineering course.
Advanced Engineering Content in First-Year Education - Developing and assessing the impact of mechanisms (e.g. learning modules, modeling activities, courses, research experiences) for making advanced engineering content (e.g. nanotechnology) accessible to first-year students.
Awards, Honors, Achievements, & Memberships
- Fellow of the Teaching Academy, 2004
- Freshman Engineering Best Teacher Award, 2000, 2002