Ernest (Chip) Blatchley
Lee A. Rieth Professor in Environmental Engineering, Lyles School of Civil Engineering and Environmental and Ecological Engineering
Personal Web Sitehttps://engineering.purdue.edu/CE/People/Faculty/Blatchley
- Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley, 1988
- M.S., University of California, Berkeley, 1983
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1981
Physico/chemical processes of environmental engineering. Current research foci include disinfection processes for water and wastewater, UV-based advanced oxidation/reduction processes, swimming pool chemistry, UV disinfection of air and surfaces, water supply in developing countries.
- Ernest R. Blatchley III (2022) Photochemical Reactors: Theory, Methods, and Applications of Ultraviolet Radiation , Wiley.
This book provides comprehensive coverage of fundamental principles that govern the dynamic behavior of photochemical reactors, experimental and numerical methods for analysis and design of these systems, and common practical applications of ultraviolet photoreactors. (bit.ly/PhotochemicalReactors)
- Schuit, M.A.; Larason, T.C.; Krause, M.L.; Green, B.M.; Holland, B.P.; Wood, S.P.; Grantham, S.; Zong, Y.; Zarobila, C.J.; Freeburger, D.L.; Miller, D.M.; Bohannon, J.K.; Ratnesar-Shumate, S.A.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Li, X.; Dabisch, P.A.; Miller, C.C. (2022) “SARS-CoV-2 inactivation by ultraviolet radiation and visible light is dependent on wavelength and sample matrix,” Journal of Photochemistry & Photobiology, B: Biology, 233, 112503.
- Blatchley III, E.R.; Brenner, D.J.; Claus, H.; Cowan, T.E.; Linden, K.G.; Liu, Y.; Park, S.J.; Piper, P.J.; Simons, R.M.; Sliney, D.H. (2022) “Far UV-C radiation: An emerging tool for pandemic control,” Critical Reviews in Environmental Science & Technology, https://doi.org/10.1080/10643389.2022.2084315.
- Wu, T.; Foldes, T.; Lee, L.T.; Wagner, D.N.; Jiang, J.; Tasoglou, A.; Boor, B.E.; Blatchley III, E.R. (2021) "Real-Time Measurements of Gas-Phase Trichloramine (NCl3) in an Indoor Aquatic Center" Environmental Science & Technology, 55, 8097-8107.
- Blatchley III, E.R.; Petri, B.; Sun, W. (2021) “SARS-CoV-2 UV Dose-Response Behavior,” Journal of Research of the National Institute of Standards and Technology, 126:126018, https://doi.org/10.6028/jres.126.018.
- Sun, Z.; Fu, J.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Zhou, Z. (2020) “Using Algal Virus Paramecium bursaria Chlorella Virus as a Human Adenovirus Surrogate for Validation of UV Treatment Systems,” Environmental Science & Technology, 54, 23, 15507-15515.
- Yin, R.; Blatchley III, E.R.; Shang, C. (2020) “UV photolysis of mono- and dichloramine using UV-LEDs as radiation sources: Photodecay rates and radical concentrations,” Environmental Science & Technology, 54, 13, 8420-8429.
- Chen, M. and Blatchley III, E.R. (2020) “Chlorine/UV treatment of anatoxin-a by activation of the secondary amine functional group,” Environmental Science: Water Research & Technology ,6, 1412-1420.
Awards and Honors
- SEEE Instructional Excellence Award, Environmental and Ecological Engineering, Purdue University, 2021
- Corps of Engagement Award, Purdue University Office of Engagement, 2020
- Fellow, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Engagement and Service Award, Purdue University, College of Engineering, 2016
- William Edgar Award for Pioneering Research in Disinfection, Water Environment Federation, 2005
- Roy E. and Myrna G. Wansik Research Leadership Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1998
- Harold Munson Outstanding Teacher Award, School of Civil Engineering, Purdue University, 1997