Assistant Professor in Agronomy and Environmental and Ecological Engineering
- Ph.D., Purdue University, 2013
- B.S. Purdue University, 2009
Michael Mashtare is an Assistant Professor of Agronomy and Environmental and Ecological Engineering, Purdue University. He was a USDA AFRI NIFA Postdoctoral Fellow at Purdue University until fall 2015. He received a B.S. from the Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences Program and a Ph.D. from the Interdisciplinary Ecological Sciences and Engineering Graduate Program and Department of Agronomy at Purdue University in 2009 and 2013, respectively. His research interests center around two complementary areas: (1) understanding the biogeochemical interactions regulating the fate, bioavailability/bioaccessibility, and transport of emerging organic and inorganic chemicals in urban- and agro-ecosystems; and (2) the use of municipal, industrial, and manufacturing residuals/wastes to reclaim, remediate, or restore degraded soil and water at the field and landscape scales. He is the recipient of several teaching awards including the 2013 Committee for the Education of Teaching Assistants Excellence in Teaching Award and 2013 Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award. He has also received several research awards including the 2013 Joe L. White Graduate Student Award in Soil Chemistry and Mineralogy, the 2013 American Society of Agronomy Environmental Quality Section Outstanding Graduate Student Award, and the 2014 American Chemical Society Graduate Student Award in Environmental Chemistry.
- Mashtare, M. L., L. S. Lee, L. F. Nies, and R. F. Turco. 2013. Transformation of 17α-estradiol,
17β-estradiol, and estrone under nitrate- and sulfate-reducing conditions. Environmental Science & Technology, 47 (13), 7178-7185.
- Mashtare, M. L , D. A. Green, and L. S. Lee. 2013. Biotransformation of 17α- and 17β estradiol in aerobic soils. Chemosphere, 90 (2), 947-652.
- Mashtare, M. L., B. Khan, and L. S. Lee. 2011. Evaluating stereospecific sorption by soils of 17alpha- and 17beta-estradiol. Chemosphere, 82 (6), 847−852.
Awards and Honors
- Exceptional Early Career Award, 2018
- Learning Community Exceptional Event Planner Award, 2017