[vip-help] Abstract submission confirmation

Kim, Chaeeun kim3476 at purdue.edu
Sat Feb 24 17:56:49 EST 2024

Hello,

This is Resistor team’s abstract:

Project Abstract:

The purpose of this project is to create an app that can calculate the resistance of a resistor image. Our team created an Android app that prompts the user to take an image of a resistor. After the image is taken, it is sent to a server where the image is processed on our algorithm and the value of the resistor is sent back to the app to be displayed to the user. We have two sub-teams working on this project: the algorithm and app teams.

The algorithm team is developing a process that will calculate the resistance of the uploaded image’s resistor. The algorithm uses a simple neural network to verify that the uploaded image is a resistor. Once verified, the algorithm uses nearest neighbors to identify the color bands on the resistor. Once the color bands have been identified, the algorithm calculates the resistance value of the resistor.
The app team is working on building the user interface of the application. The application has a camera function built-in which allows the user to capture an image of the resistor on the app directly. The user is then able to crop the image to fit the width of the resistor. The cropped image is then uploaded to a server using volley. The server uses php to look for requests to process images. Once the server finds the request, it runs the algorithm on the uploaded image and sends the result of the algorithm back to the app.

Would you confirm before we submit the expo application?

Best,
Resistor team