msepostdoc-list Klondike Carnival - Volunteer Request

Materials Science and Engineering Graduate St Assoc msegsa at purdue.edu
Mon Mar 25 16:36:21 EDT 2024

Hi all,

It is almost time for the annual Carnival at Klondike Elementary. For those of you who have not participated in the past, Klondike Elementary (located northwest of campus near Meijer/Dunkin Donuts) hosts a one-day event where elementary aged students can participate in various activities hosted by the school and the local community. Purdue MSE has had a booth for many years now where we teach students how to sand cast a Pewter medallion featuring their school logo for them to keep.

The event will be held on Saturday, April 6th from 9 am - 3 pm at Klondike Elementary. We will have two shifts of volunteers, the first shift covering set-up from 9 am - 12 pm, and the second shift from 12 - 3 pm to cover break-down and clean up. Lunch is provided and historically includes pizza. During the event, volunteers help students fill the sand molds, pour the molten Pewter, or help students post-process their medallions.

In addition to the event, we will hold a dry run event to make sure everyone has experience with the sand casting process. This will be held on Friday, April 5th at 3:30 pm (during the 690 time slot, but there is no currently scheduled speaker) and will walk everyone through the process, start to finish.

Please fill out the following google form if you are interested in helping out (https://forms.gle/iVGxKEVuSowJmXSK9<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforms.gle%2FiVGxKEVuSowJmXSK9&data=05%7C02%7Cmsepostdoc-list%40ecn.purdue.edu%7Cb9f03d4a09144031502908dc4d0b3b62%7C4130bd397c53419cb1e58758d6d63f21%7C0%7C0%7C638469957829508451%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=Ax%2F7ia6Te%2FguxbGYcHRPxL5bZpKj%2FVHxrEMnWYwXoIo%3D&reserved=0>)! This is a great event to introduce kids to materials engineering and to showcase what our field and department can do!

Thank you,

MSE GSA Outreach Coordinators

MSE Graduate Student Association
MSEGSA at purdue.edu