msepostdoc-list FW: Special presentations (CCO) on Career Success, Influencing without Authority, and Management of Change

Morgan, Yuan-Yu Karen ymorgan at purdue.edu
Tue Feb 14 14:59:41 EST 2023

Helpful presentations from CCO!  If interested, click the links below to register.

Boiler Up,
Dr. Morgan
Yuan-Yu Karen Morgan,Ph.D.
Academic Advisor-Graduate Program
School of Materials Engineering
Neil Armstrong Hall of Engineering, Room 2201A
765-494-4103
ymorgan at purdue.edu<mailto:ymorgan at purdue.edu>

All students and postdocs are welcome to attend. All three are via Zoom, and will not be recorded.

February 28: Successes, Surprises and Pitfalls: Transitioning from Academia to Industry
Via Zoom at 3 p.m. ET (registration required: https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIqfumhrDkqHNynx8OU41bXu32Z5xEw876c)
Graduate students (especially PhDs) have many in-demand skillsets but the move from grad school/academia to industry can sometimes be bumpy. Attend this presentation to learn: What skills will jumpstart your career? What will get you fired?

March 2: Influencing without Authority
Via Zoom at 3 p.m. ET (registration required: https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEvceGqpzMtGdKW9TQNBeCAXmfOqwcgqXpw)
Critical skills for career success include communication, teamwork, and persuasion. But what does that look like in practice and execution? How can one lead effectively, how can one convince a team to get things done, especially if one doesn't have the official title/authority? Attend this presentation to learn how to influence without authority. Demystify the techniques, expand your toolkit; avoid manipulation!

March 7: Management of Change
Via Zoom at 3 p.m. ET (registration required: https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJErde6rrzMiHdOmeqgp9fztG51ZkLkDRZb0)
Often when we spot a problem and suggest or work towards a solution, we watch in frustration as our attempts to make an improvement fail. Most people are resistant to change; yet change is critical and necessary. Whether or not you've already experienced this, change management is going to be a useful skill to know. Attend this presentation to learn: Why do some changes succeed, and others fail? Learn strategies to make YOUR changes successful.

Please direct questions to me, and thanks for your help with advertising these opportunities!

Amruta

Amruta Inamdar, PhD
she, her, hers
Sr. Career Services Consultant - Graduate Students, Center for Career Opportunities

Empathy, Developer, Intellection, Input, Adaptability
[cid:image001.png at 01D94069.D5297CF0]<https://www.purdue.edu/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=purdue>