msepostdoc-list Chemical SOP Changes

Jennifer Louise Fifer fiferj at purdue.edu
Tue Nov 23 14:31:31 EST 2021

Hi MSE Faculty,

REM has identified that the MSE chemical SOPs we currently have are too generalized (they are lab specific instead of process specific) and are not PI specific. In order to ensure better safety of our researchers and that REM will continue to pick up our waste, we will need to update all of our chemical SOPs. These SOPs MUST be in REM's specific format with the protocol section filled in with step by step procedures for your specific process. The chemical SOPs must also be signed by the faculty member overseeing the research project for each.

To assist  with this, I created a box folder for MSE faculty/students to place SOPs. That way if one group is wanting to use a similar/same chemical procedure used by different group, they will not have to start from scratch. I have also attached REM's nitric acid template (the protocol section would need to be filled out) as a reference.

Chemical SOP Box Link: https://app.box.com/s/1q68ofjnngpzgn2i4it6qbbi3xnx4k1l

Other Available REM SOP Templates: https://www.purdue.edu/ehps/rem/laboratory/HazMat/sops.html

Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Jenni Fifer
Safety & Mechanical Testing Lab Technician
Materials Science & Engineering
Purdue University
Phone: 765-494-9718
Email: fiferj at purdue.edu