msepostdoc-list FW: Concerns about VC-50 saw use in ARMS 2136

Stacey, Lisa A staceyl at purdue.edu
Tue Sep 24 16:06:19 EDT 2019

Forwarding on behalf of Darren Pauly:

All,

In ARMS 2136, we have two Leco VC-50 saws set up for use.
One saw is equipped with a diamond cutting wheel; this is meant for cutting harder materials.
The other saw is dedicated for the cutting of softer materials; it is equipped with an aluminum oxide cutting wheel.
Each saw is marked appropriately.
In addition, there is a chart (taken out of the user's manual) posted between the two saws indicating the appropriate cutting wheel to use.
I am sending this email to clarify an issue that has surfaced recently.
I have noticed that some students have been using the diamond cutting wheel to cut epoxy sample mounts and bakelite sample mounts.
To be fair, these materials are not listed on the chart that is in-between the machines.
I asked a student to research the hardness characteristics of these epoxy sample holders and
according to his research, both of the sample mounts are considered softer materials and must be cut with the aluminum oxide cutting wheel.
Please DO NOT use the diamond cutting wheel to cut these sample mounts; doing so will lead to premature failure of the diamond cutting wheel.
I will be getting the appropriate notices related to this posted in ARMS 2136 shortly.
If you would like some more information about this issue, please feel free to stop by my office (ARMS 2200-1) for assistance.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

Darren

Darren Pauly