msepostdoc-list FW: Post-doctoral and Staff Research Opportunities at Sandia National Laboratories - Livermore, CA

Son, Rosemary E son39 at purdue.edu
Wed Oct 16 08:13:47 EDT 2019

Hello colleagues,

I lead Sandia National Laboratories' Hydrogen and Materials Science department, which performs scientific and engineering research to develop fundamental understanding on the aging of materials in environments, including hydrogen and its isotopes, and applies this understanding to determine its effects on the performance and reliability of materials. I am currently looking to fill two research positions:

JobID 668911 - Fatigue, Fracture and Failure of Metals Post-Doctoral Researcher: I am seeking a mechanical engineer or materials scientist who has recently earned their Ph.D. to work with my team to develop a comprehensive understanding of fatigue, fracture and failure of structural materials, such as steel and aluminum alloys and their welds. This scope includes how fracture and damage processes in materials change upon exposure to environments such as hydrogen, hydrogen isotopes, sub-ambient temperature and moisture.

JobID 669481 - Materials/Environmental Interactions Scientist: I am seeking a Ph.D. in metallurgy, nuclear engineering, physics, or materials science to work with my team to conduct experimental studies of how different chemical environments (including hydrogen, tritium, supercritical CO2, and/or various salts) change material microstructure and properties. The goals would be to understand the kinetics of these chemical/material interactions and how high temperatures and/or radiation might influence chemical transport.

For more information, please see the attached job opening announcements. I would ask that you convey these opportunities to your students and colleagues who may be interested.

Candidates should apply directly on-line at http://www.sandia.gov/careers using the appropriate job ID number. Both positions require the ability to obtain a U.S. Security Clearance.

Thank you,

Jon Zimmerman
----------------------------------
Jonathan A. Zimmerman, Manager
Hydrogen and Materials Science Department
Hydrogen and Fuel Cells Program
Sandia National Laboratories
P.O. Box 969 - MS 9161
Livermore, CA 94551