msepostdoc-list Seminar Reminder for Sabrina Huang's Ph.D. Final Exam Tuesday, June 4, at 9:00 a.m., in ARMS 1028. Exam same day at 10:00, in ARMS 2326 "Investigation of Biodegradable Iron-Manganese Alloys with Various Porosity"

Son, Rosemary E son39 at purdue.edu
Mon Jun 3 15:05:03 EDT 2019

Please consider attending the following:
MATERIALS ENGINEERING
SEMINAR

"Investigation of Biodegradable Iron-Manganese Alloys with Various Porosity"
By
Sabrina M. Huang
Purdue MSE Ph.D. Final Exam

Advisor: Professor Lia Stanciu

ABSTRACT

Bioresorbable iron-manganese (Fe-Mn) alloys are considered as a new class of biomaterials for the development of temporary orthopedic fixation devices due to their promising mechanical properties and the ability to degrade in the physiological environment. These materials release small quantities of metallic ions/particles that are absorbable by the host upon their biodegradation. The greatest challenge for developing an ideal resorbable Fe-Mn alloy is to increase the degradation rate of the alloy while maintaining biocompatibility, i.e. causing zero or minimal local and systemic toxicity to the tissue. Another challenge is to improve osteo-integration through inducing a cascade of events leading to tissue ingrowth. The focus of this presentation is on balancing all of these requirements by introducing porosity for increased biodegradation and collagen type I coatings for osteo-integration. The microstructure and mechanical properties of the alloys, as well as the influence of the degree of porosity on the corrosion rates in relation to the concentrations of released metal ions were investigated. We also present on the effect of Type I Collagen coating on cellular compatibility and corrosion rates. With the incorporation of porosity and surface coating with Type I collagen, Fe-30Mn alloys could become the next generation transient fracture fixation medical devices.