msepostdoc-list SEMINAR REMINDER TODAY: B. Saha, Ph.D. Prelim Part I, Mon. 11/26/12 4:00 pm, BIRK 2001

Stacey, Lisa A staceyl at purdue.edu
Mon Nov 26 10:02:21 EST 2012

PLEASE NOTE LOCATION IN BIRCK

MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
SEMINAR

InGaAs/InAlAs Heterostructures and Superlattices:
An All-Semiconductor Mid-infrared Optical Metamaterial

by

Bivas Saha
Ph.D. Prelim Exam Part I

Advisor:
Prof. T. Sands

ABSTRACT

The studies of optical phenomena in nanoscale materials have generated tremendous enthusiasm among researchers in recent years. Metamaterials that have artificial structural elements designed to achieve unusual electromagnetic properties are currently being investigated widely to achieve negative refraction, sub wavelength imaging, density of states engineering and other exotic optical phenomenon. In this talk, I will present an all semiconductor metamaterial based on InGaAs/InAlAs multilayers and superlattices that show negative refraction in the Mid-IR range. The theory behind negative refraction in layered metamaterials is reviewed briefly before discussing the optical characterization and more specifically the negative refraction. Further research into new material systems that might show similar effect and other interesting optical properties are also proposed.