msepostdoc-list Fwd: Midwest Mechanics Seminar April 4th ARMS 1010 4:30

Donna Bystrom bystrom at ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Mar 20 14:39:11 EDT 2012

*Midwest Mechanics Seminar*

*
                                                                  April
4^th , 2012  4:30 ARMS Room 1010*

*Eliot Fried***

*D**epartment of Mechanical Engineering, McGill University*

**

*Stability of a thin elastic film close to a rigid plate*

**

*Abstract:*

**

*We introduce and study a variational model for the formation of
patterns induced by bringing the surface of a rigid plate into contact
proximity with the surface of a polymeric film strongly bonded to a
substrate. We treat the film as a homogeneous, isotropic, hyperelastic
solid and account for both attractive and repulsive van der Waals
interactions between the film surface and the proximate contractor.
Aside from confiming the intuitive expectation that the presence of a
repulsive contribution to the van der Waals potential should stabilize
patterns that form on the film surface, we elucidate the role of
repulsive interactions at the onset of instability. For a recently
proposed van der Waals potential involving two parameters, the Hamaker
constant **A **and the equilibrium spacing **d**e**, our results include
estimates for the critical gap **d**c **at which undulations appear on
the _lm surface, the corresponding wavenumber **k**c **of the
undulations, and a lower bound **f **for the attractive force needed to
induce the undulations. To leading order, **d**c **~ **(**Ah
/**)****1**=**4**, **k**c **~ **1**=h**, and **f**m **~
**(**3**A=h**3**)**1**=**4**,  where **h **and ****denote the thickness
and infinitesimal shear modulus of the film. Correction terms due to
repulsive interactions indicate that, while **k**c **may be influenced
by ****and **A**, **d**c **may also be influenced by **d**e**. Granted
knowledge of ****and **A**, our results also suggest a simple
experimental protocol for determining **d**e**.***

**

*Bio:*

**

*Eliot Fried obtained his Ph.D. in Applied Mechanics from the California
Institute of Technology in 1991.  He received an NSF Mathematical
Sciences Postdoctoral Fellowship, a Japan Society for the Promotion of
Science Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, and an NSF Research Initiation
Award. Currently he is a Professor of Mechanical Engineering and the
Tier 1 Canada Research Chair in Interfacial and Defect Mechanics at
McGill University. He previously held positions at Carnegie Mellon
University, the Pennsylvania State University, College Park, the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, and Washington University in
St. Louis. At Illinois, he was a Fellow of the Center of Advanced Study
and was awarded a Critical Research  Initiative Grant. His research
focuses on the mechanics and thermodynamics of novel materials,
including liquid crystals, surfactant solutions, hydrogels, and
nanocrystalline alloys.***

**