msepostdoc-list Fwd: [engap-list] Colloquium This Thurs on 50th Anniversary of Human Spaceflight

Donna Bystrom bystrom at ecn.purdue.edu
Mon Nov 7 08:58:46 EST 2011

Dear colleagues,

The School of Engineering Education is pleased to invite you to join us for our inaugural Interdisciplinary Engineering Colloquium, "It Takes a Team: Reflections at the 50th Anniversary of Human Spaceflight," this Thursday, Nov. 10, from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m. in the atrium of Armstrong Hall. (Reception following.)

Co-hosted by the Colleges of Engineering and Liberal Arts, the colloquium features two speakers: Gary Horlacher, NASA flight director and a 1989 graduate of Purdue's Interdisciplinary Engineering program, and Purdue history professor Michael Smith, whose expertise is in the history of the Space Race, aviation, and Russia.

This event will highlight the geopolitical and societal context and technological challenges of the Space Race in the early 1960s, explore the complex nature of the human and technological systems in the space shuttle era, and ask what lessons we can learn for the future of human exploration of space. A question-and-answer session will conclude the discussion.

The attached flier provides more information; we'd appreciate your sharing it with colleagues.

Lisa Tally
Communications Director
School of Engineering Education
lisat at purdue.edu