[Embrio-list] Announcements and reminders

Ladd, Brent Thomas laddb at purdue.edu
Wed Jan 24 13:14:58 EST 2024

Dear EMBRIOphytes,

Thank you to everyone who tuned in to the NSF BII meeting that past two days, and to the team attending in person we had a strong presence especially Linlin Li, Weiwei Zhang, and David Gazzo for presenting posters and flash talks, and Director Umulis for presenting our Institute-wide progress to NSF and to the 13 other BIIs represented.

Our next EMBRIO seminar this coming Monday the 29th will be an ABIDES training topic: "Results-Based Management/Mentorship in Science", presented by Javier Munoz Briones, Ph.D. Candidate at Purdue. This session welcomes all EMBRIO members to participate. The results-based mentorship approach dovetails nicely with some of the mentorship topics that we've touched on previously. For example, the idea that there is not a 'one size fits all' mentorship style and that mentors may need to change their styles for different mentees, and that mentees are in charge of their careers and should actively seek mentors and manage their mentorship. The results-based mentorship then leads into results-based management which has useful points for all of EMBRIO (planning specific activities for desired outcomes).

Please Note: The Leadership team has asked that the All-hands twice monthly seminars be held in-person starting this coming Monday, January 29th (the regular zoom link will continue to be available live, especially for the members at our partner institutions). The Face-2-Face seminars will take place in DLR 221 conference room starting at 3pm (Hall for Discovery Learning & Research). If we run out of seats, we'll look for a larger venue.

A reminder that for anyone involved in EMBRIO research generating data it is mandatory to read<https://www.purdue.edu/research/embrio/research/DSP.php> and sign the Data Sharing Policy agreement<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpurdue.ca1.qualtrics.com%2Fjfe%2Fform%2FSV_25Zs5169Rs1MCNg&data=05%7C02%7Cembrio-list%40ecn.purdue.edu%7C3355ec96e88249d986af08dc1d085fd5%7C4130bd397c53419cb1e58758d6d63f21%7C0%7C0%7C638417173327425600%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=gV%2FTLUl8YizSMGsiRWuRgmkZVi70UkU8WykWdWp%2FedU%3D&reserved=0> (all current members: due by end of the month: 1/31/24). Faculty PIs, please ensure that those working in your lab are aware of the policy and the deadline. Original email with details attached.

Tomorrow, Thurs., Jan. 25: BME Special Seminar, 3:00 p.m., Purdue, MJIS 2001. Hyeon Jeong Lee, Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering and Instrument Science at Zhejiang University will present “Label-free imaging pinpoints molecular markers for disease diagnosis and mechanism investigation.” Flyer attached (this seminar is in person only).

Thanks,
Brent

Brent T. Ladd, Senior Research Program Manager, EMBRIO Institute<https://www.purdue.edu/research/embrio/>
Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University
Office: Hall for Discovery Learning and Research, Ste. 203
207 S. Martin Jischke Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907
laddb at purdue.edu