[Embrio-list] EMBRIO Data Mng-Sci Position discussion next Leadership Meet?

Ladd, Brent Thomas laddb at purdue.edu
Fri Feb 2 15:48:52 EST 2024

Dear Team,

Following up from David and Tami talking with Scott Bolton, I had a helpful discussion with Scott about the data manager position and was able to answer most of his questions.

He is very interested and said the kinds of things this position can undertake in combination with the science and imaging work being done align well with his skill set and interests. However, I don't think he is interested in only doing the data curation/workflow/management pieces, although he understood those need to come first.

From the 45 min discussion with him, I think he does bring most of what we are looking for, though he does have questions about the position (esp. pursuing use of AI tools and technologies (he would like to do this), and room to do some grant writing) that I think are better discussed with this team as a whole. He did say that he has Tami's support to pursue this and can commit to 50% of his time to focus on it.

I propose we schedule at least the first or second half of the next Leadership meeting (Feb. 8th 8:30, or 9:00) to have Scott come in to discuss the position with us. Is this doable for you all next week? To what extent can we meet in person for this? (We'll all have just seen each other for two straight glorious days - up for a third morning? Jeremy, you could stay over in West Lafayette Wed night and we can go to breakfast Thurs. morn if you like😀 )

David:  summary from yesterday's meeting - Nilay is on board and ready to go. He, Linlin, and Weiwei will all three participate in the retreat next week. Discussion focused on the need to formalize this coordination team to help address some of the growing pains and gaps the Institute needs to address. I think all are in agreement, though Linlin had some input /questions on how to balance everything she's currently doing. Next week's retreat will help a lot to get this started ( could consider mentioning this during your State of the Institute welcome on Tuesday 🙂 ). Everyone, please add on to this with your assessment and thoughts.

Thanks,
Brent

Brent T. Ladd, Senior Research Program Manager, EMBRIO Institute<https://www.purdue.edu/research/embrio/>
Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering, Purdue University
Office: Hall for Discovery Learning and Research, Ste. 203
207 S. Martin Jischke Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907
laddb at purdue.edu