[Bncnews-list] BNC E-news: January 4th, 2021

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Mon Jan 4 15:28:03 EST 2021

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D685C3.FA345960]

Responding to COVID-19: Research Operations at Birck

https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/for-birck-users/covid/index.php

Seminars /Workshops / Events

EMA early-career seminar the 1/07/2021 at 11 am CET

Dr. Daniele Pinna will discuss Reservoir Computing with random magnetic textures. The video abstract can be found here<http://magnetism.eu/198-recordings-of-ema-early-career-seminars-2021.htm>

The European Magnetism Association leads a series of online seminars to ensure the broad visibility of its members and their work, while maintaining a low carbon footprint. The series is a good opportunity to reflect on and otherwise encourage the geographical, thematic and gender diversity of the researchers working in the field of magnetism.

The e-seminar series are held via Zoom and are live-streamed on the twitch Chanel of EMA (twitch.tv/eumagneticassociation<http://twitch.tv/eumagneticassociation>). Both abstract and seminars will have a video format and will be kept on the EMA website in the category « events ».

The Zoom link for this seminar can be found below

https://zoom.us/j/99802385926

Meeting ID : 998 0238 5926

Future directions in nanomaterial synthesis: from rational design to data-driven manufacturing (flyer attached)

Virtual Workshop: January 19-20-21 2021

Website: https://graphene.illinois.edu

Bringing together the leaders in nanomaterials synthesis from around the world, the objectives of this workshop are: (1) to collect new insights and lessons learnt related to the synthesis of various nanomaterials, with emphasis on 2D materials; (2) to create a framework for data collaborations among groups in these areas on synthesis and complementary computational tools; and (3) to present the efforts of the Network for Computational Nanotechnology Nanomanufacturing Node in using computational and data-driven tools tailored for the synthesis community.

Birck Events<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php> and Birck News<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/news/index.php>

Required Annual All User Refresher

It’s that time of year again! In order to maintain access to Birck, all BNC laboratory users (including any of the dry, solvent, acid, bio, and cleanroom labs) must obtain this year’s annual safety training refresher Passport badge: BNC 151 - 2021 badge<https://www.openpassport.org/Badge/bnc151-2021/Criteria>

BNC lab users must obtain this badge by 11:59 PM Sunday, January 24th, or BNC lab access will be revoked. Please direct any questions or issues to sejurss at purdue.edu<mailto:sejurss at purdue.edu> and jcwirth at purdue.edu<mailto:jcwirth at purdue.edu>.

To begin earning the badge, navigate to the following link and click the “Get Started” button: https://www.openpassport.org/Badge/bnc151-2021/Criteria

NOTE: If you do not see the “Get Started” button at the badge page, or cannot access the page at all, you need to join the BNC Passport group:

  1.  Navigate to the BNC Passport Group page: https://www.openpassport.org/Group/bnc
  2.  Login with your Purdue ID and BoilerKey (if not already logged in)
  3.  Once at the BNC Passport Group page, click the “Join Group” button.

To reiterate the requirements listed on the badge page, obtaining the badge requires:

  1.  A review of the BNC 151 - 2021 training slides<https://wiki.itap.purdue.edu/download/attachments/95882934/BNC%20151%20-%202021.pdf> and the Chemical Hygiene Plan<https://www.purdue.edu/ehps/rem/documents/programs/chp2014.pdf>.
  2.  Passing a 25 question quiz on content from the BNC 151 - 2021 training slides<https://wiki.itap.purdue.edu/download/attachments/95882934/BNC%20151%20-%202021.pdf> and the Chemical Hygiene Plan<http://www.purdue.edu/ehps/rem/documents/programs/chp2014.pdf>. An 80% or better is required to pass. The quiz may be retaken once, if needed. You may refer to the BNC 151 - 2021 training slides<https://wiki.itap.purdue.edu/download/attachments/95882934/BNC%20151%20-%202021.pdf> and the Chemical Hygiene Plan<http://www.purdue.edu/ehps/rem/documents/programs/chp2014.pdf> during the quiz.

Please note:

  *   If you fail to obtain an 80% after a second attempt on the quiz, your submission must be manually reset. Email Steve Jurss (sejurss at purdue.edu<mailto:sejurss at purdue.edu?subject=BNC%20151%20Quiz%20Reset>) with the subject line "BNC 151 Quiz Reset" to setup a meeting to discuss any points of confusion and reset your submission.
  *   BNC laboratory access (to any/all of the dry, solvent, acid, bio, or cleanroom laboratories) will be revoked if not completed by 11:59:59 PM on Sunday, January 24th, 2021.
  *   If not completed by the deadline, users wishing to regain BNC laboratory access will need to retake BNC 111.

NOTICE:  Birck Cleanroom and Labs Closed; January 12, 2021

The Birck Nanotechnology Center will be closed Tuesday,  January 12, 2021 from 8am to 4pm for an upgrade to the automated building system.  Air handling systems, exhaust systems, and monitoring systems will be down beginning at 8 a.m., and all utilities are scheduled to resume at 4pm barring any unforeseen issues.

All CLEANROOM research work will be suspended until the maintenance activities are completed and all systems are returned to normal.  Only authorized personnel will be allowed to enter the cleanroom during this time period.

In addition, the laboratory areas will also be affected by this systems upgrade.  As such, all LABORATORY activities that involve exhausted hoods, vacuum systems, and/or toxic gas systems will be down beginning 8 a.m. Tuesday, January 12, 2021 from 8am to 4pm.  No chemical or biological work will be allowed during this period.

It is anticipated that the building upgrades will be completed by the end of the day on at 4pm on January 12, 2021.  An email will be sent once all work is complete.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding during these important Siemens building controls upgrade.  Please contact me if you need more detailed information.

Dan Hosler
Research Facility Planning Engineer
Birck Nanotechnology Center  |  Room 2287C
Office:  765.496.3883  |  Email:  dhosler at purdue.edu<mailto:dhosler at purdue.edu>

Courses

ECE 595 Applied Quantum Computing I, II, III

Instructor: Prof. Pramey Upadhyaya (prameyup at purdue.edu<mailto:prameyup at purdue.edu>)

Spring 2021

This course aims to train students starting from the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics to understand how they can be leveraged for building quantum hardware and software, so that they can contribute to move this emerging technology forward with applications in artificial intelligence and data sciences. An important aspect will be a focus on providing hands-on experience programming real quantum systems. Particularly, we will focus on following three-levels:

  *   Applied Quantum Computing I-Fundamentals (1-credit): Learn the essential foundations required to understand computing models built from the principles of quantum mechanics
  *   Applied Quantum Computing II-Hardware (1-credit): Learn how present-day material platforms are built to perform quantum information processing tasks
  *   Applied Quantum Computing III-Algorithm and Software (1-credit): Learn domain-specific quantum algorithms and how to run them on present-day quantum hardware.

ECE 695 Quantum Detectors and Sensors

Instructor: Prof. Zubin Jacob

It is 15 weeks with 3 modules and consists of many topics which are  important for understanding emerging quantum technology.

There will also be an EdX version offered for the first time as part of the online Micro Masters.

https://www.edx.org/course/quantum-detectors-and-sensors

Module
Week
Assignments
1 – Quantum Noise

1.       Bosons vs. Fermions

2.       Bosonic Harmonic Oscillator

3.       Two-Level Atoms

4.       Fluctuation-Dissipation Theorem

5.       Vacuum Fluctuations

•       Module 1 Homework
2 – Quantum Detectors

6.       Classical Detectors

7.       Single Photon Avalanche Detectors

8.       Superconducting Detectors

9.       Quantum Interference

10.    Quantum Non-Demolition Measurement

•       Module 2 Homework

•       Midterm Exam

3 – Quantum Sensing

11.    Coherent States and Squeezed States

12.    Quantum Interferometry

13.    Quantum Fisher Information

14.    Nitrogen Vacancy Centers in Diamond

15.    Quantum Phase Transition Based Sensing /Detection

•       Module 3 Homework

Final Exam Week
Final Exam Week

•       Final Exam

Birck Safety Protocols

It is very gratifying to see our research community back ‘in business’ doing leading-edge research in our center after the long pause we all experienced this Spring.  But at the same time we want to remind our entire user group of the critical importance of following the COVID safety protocols while using our facilities.  If an outbreak of COVID exposures should happen at Birck there is a real possibility that we may need to close the facility again.  So please read and support the following…..

…..Some of our approved users are holding the doors open for others to enter the building.  This may very well be a gesture of politeness to assist another, but it also can be perceived that non-approved people are entering our building with the assistance of one of our approved users.  Additionally it does not allow us to have an accurate accounting of who is entering our building by evaluating card-swipe data.  So everyone should swipe into Birck and not be let in by someone holding the door open.

…..Face masks are required while in Birck.  Approved users have been, and continue to be, strongly encouraged to bring their own face mask for their personal use while in the facility.  At the entrances we have supplied quantities of disposable face masks for emergency use, but our supplies of these disposable masks are being depleted at the high rate of 300 – 400 masks per week.  This rate of use seems exceptionally high when personal masks are strongly recommended.  Please only take one mask from the supply, and only when you’ve forgotten your personal mask.

….Social distancing continues to be a challenge.  This is a difficult habit to develop and groups of people have been seen clustered around a tool, or having a hallway conversation, and not adhering to the 6’ spacing rule.  Please continue to maintain at least 6’ spacing between yourself and the nearest other person.

Please stay vigilant in promoting and supporting these safety protocols.  If we each do our part we will continue to stay open and conduct state-of-the-art research in our great facility.

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

[Facebook icon]<https://www.facebook.com/nano.purdue.edu/>    [Twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/BNCPurdue>

***If you have any news items (published papers, research news, awards, honors) please send to jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu> so they may be included on Birck’s website, Facebook and Twitter pages***

Jaime Turner
Lead Administrative Assistant to the Director | Birck Nanotechnology Center
BRK | 1205 W State Street | West Lafayette, IN 47907
o: 765-494-3509<tel:7654943509> | m: 765-491-3064<tel:7654913064> | jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>

[83324AA6]<https://www.purdue.edu/>