[Bncnews-list] BNC E-news: October 26th, 2020

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Mon Oct 26 16:19:01 EDT 2020

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D685C3.FA345960]

Responding to COVID-19: Research Operations at Birck

https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/for-birck-users/covid/index.php

Seminars /Workshops / Events

BNC Virtual Faculty Seminar

October 29th, 2020 | 12:00 noon

Ryan Wagner,  Research Assistant Professor, School of Mechanical Engineering

"Atomic force microscopy as a tool for multiphysics nanoscale characterization"<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=3100>

Join Zoom Meeting: https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/j/93857631004

NSAC Coffee Hour Special Series -NO.5<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=3101>

An Interview with Bill Rowe

(Research Engineer in BNC, Electron Beam Lithography, Optical Microscopy )

When: Friday 2:00 pm (Oct-30, 2020)
Where: MS Teams Live on https://tinyurl.com/coffee-hour-bill-rowe
 Previous recorded sessions: Youtube<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUx5VBg665CQRu_hIBPeC472ZuP4Fbkyk> Spotify<https://open.spotify.com/show/1lPwxoBKVZLAUqpF9ougCW?si=4W41LwRmTB-wLs7aynTW4g> Podcast<https://anchor.fm/nsac-purdue/episodes/Joerg-Appenzeller-diligence--persistence--self-criticism-ekmheo>
Birck Events<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php> and Birck News<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/news/index.php>

Launch of New Equipment Support Ticketing System

Dear Birck User Community,

As many of you know we have been running a pilot evaluation of our trouble-reporting 'ticketing' system that Rich Hosler and the engineering staff developed in June.  We had good results with this pilot study, taking in approximately 40 tickets and responding to them in a timely manner.  We now want to officially launch this system for Birck-wide use, and to that end we will formally begin its use throughout Birck immediately after next week's PM shutdown.  Therefore, on Monday, October 26 we are directing all equipment related issues to be reported using our ticketing system.  During the ramp-up phase the staff members will continue to remind users to not use email, but rather the ticketing system.  For the first month any email inquiries/reports will also be input into the ticket system, and after a month's time we will no longer accept email notices (after November 23).  We realize this is a culture change for our facility and we will continue to remind users about the ticketing system as we go.

Why are we doing this?   We are always interested in improving our operations, and we know this will address our ability to know about issues quickly and address them responsively.  We have benchmarked other facilities who use ticketing processes to their great benefit.  Additionally our own ECN uses a similar ticketing system to address computer and network issues all across Purdue.

Below is a message from Rich regarding the use of the ticketing system, and a link to the system.  We look forward to your use of the system which will improve our engineering operations.

Your comments and suggestions are certainly welcome.

Ron

Message from Rich Hosler:

Hello,
The goal of this system is to reduce downtime and improve communication regarding tool and equipment availability.  In general we envision this tool to be the first point of contact for any support requests regarding equipment or services inside BNC.
I would ask that if you have any issues or questions regarding equipment in the Scifres Nanofabrication facility or with equipment residing in the BNC, please use the webpage below to submit a ticket. You do not have to create an account to put a ticket in, but it will help you track your tickets better if you do.
https://bircknano.freshdesk.com/support/home
All iLabs-tracked equipment should be represented in the list by the iLabs name. If you see a piece of equipment missing either put in a ticket for 'other' or email hosler0 at purdue.edu<mailto:hosler0 at purdue.edu> and I'll get the issue resolved. If you're unsure of which equipment to report under you can either select the general core that best represents the system or 'unknown/other'. Under the 'group' tab please select 'research engineering' if this is regarding equipment operation, otherwise there are categories for administration, iLabs billing, and building/installation issues.
Any other questions you may have can be reported to hosler0 at purdue.edu<mailto:hosler0 at purdue.edu> and I'll do my best to get you an answer quickly.
Thanks for your assistance,
Rich Hosler

Reminder: BRK 2001 Max Occupancy - 10 people

As a reminder, the maximum occupancy for BRK 2001 is 10 people total.  Make sure you adhere to this guideline so we keep Birck aligned with the university's social distancing protocols outlined in the Protect Purdue Guidelines.
Attached is the BRK 2001 SOP for reference.
Please let Sunil Bhave (bhave at purdue.edu<mailto:bhave at purdue.edu>), Ron Reger (rreger at purdue.edu<mailto:rreger at purdue.edu>) or myself know if you have any questions or concerns.

REM Cardboard Boxes

Dear Birck Bio Lab Users-
The Radiological & Environmental Management group at Purdue (REM) provides boxes to Birck that are used for disposing biohazard waste.  These boxes are removed by REM when they're filled with autoclaved waste from our bio labs.  It has come to our attention that someone has taken some of these boxes, presumably for personal use.  Additionally a pack of the boxes was moved away from the autoclave to across the galley, making it inconvenient to fill the boxes after autoclave.  Please do not take or relocate these REM hazardous waste boxes.  They have a critical function in removing biohazardous waste for all the biolabs within Birck.  Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Yunfeng Bai

Open Positions

Research Internship Opportunity: Research internship is available with hourly payment of 15 $ per hour. The number of hours and timings are flexible. The research intern will conduct outdoor measurements and record data for machine learning applications. Juniors and senior undergrads with varied backgrounds in engineering and science are welcome to apply. The prospective candidate should have excellent academic credentials and an attention to detail to succeed in the project. Previous experience in engineering labs is necessary.   The project is being conducted in the lab of Prof. Zubin Jacob  (see www.electrodynamics.org<http://www.electrodynamics.org/>). Please contact Shree Hari Sureshbabu with your CV by Nov 30th 2020  (sureshbs at purdue.edu<mailto:sureshbs at purdue.edu>)

Draper Labs:  Looking to hire ASAP, high experience in fab.  Applicants can be PostDocs, fresh PhDs or MS with experience.
https://careers-draper.icims.com/jobs/4922/principal-mems--photonics-microfabrication-engineer/job

Birck Safety Protocols

It is very gratifying to see our research community back 'in business' doing leading-edge research in our center after the long pause we all experienced this Spring.  But at the same time we want to remind our entire user group of the critical importance of following the COVID safety protocols while using our facilities.  If an outbreak of COVID exposures should happen at Birck there is a real possibility that we may need to close the facility again.  So please read and support the following.....

.....Some of our approved users are holding the doors open for others to enter the building.  This may very well be a gesture of politeness to assist another, but it also can be perceived that non-approved people are entering our building with the assistance of one of our approved users.  Additionally it does not allow us to have an accurate accounting of who is entering our building by evaluating card-swipe data.  So everyone should swipe into Birck and not be let in by someone holding the door open.

.....Face masks are required while in Birck.  Approved users have been, and continue to be, strongly encouraged to bring their own face mask for their personal use while in the facility.  At the entrances we have supplied quantities of disposable face masks for emergency use, but our supplies of these disposable masks are being depleted at the high rate of 300 - 400 masks per week.  This rate of use seems exceptionally high when personal masks are strongly recommended.  Please only take one mask from the supply, and only when you've forgotten your personal mask.

....Social distancing continues to be a challenge.  This is a difficult habit to develop and groups of people have been seen clustered around a tool, or having a hallway conversation, and not adhering to the 6' spacing rule.  Please continue to maintain at least 6' spacing between yourself and the nearest other person.

Please stay vigilant in promoting and supporting these safety protocols.  If we each do our part we will continue to stay open and conduct state-of-the-art research in our great facility.

REMINDER: Influenza Vaccination Required for Faculty, Staff and Students

Faculty, staff and students are required to obtain their influenza vaccine by Oct. 31. Purdue is holding flu shot events, and several on-campus locations also are offering flu shots. Seasonal flu shots are provided at no charge to all benefits-eligible Purdue faculty and staff as well as spouses and dependents covered on a Purdue medical plan.

Click HERE<https://www.purdue.edu/hr/COVID-19/flu-info/index.php> for more details of 2020 PU West Lafayette Campus Flu Shot Events

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

[Facebook icon]<https://www.facebook.com/nano.purdue.edu/>    [Twitter icon] <https://twitter.com/BNCPurdue>

***If you have any news items (published papers, research news, awards, honors) please send to jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu> so they may be included on Birck's website, Facebook and Twitter pages***

Jaime Turner
Lead Administrative Assistant to the Director | Birck Nanotechnology Center
BRK | 1205 W State Street | West Lafayette, IN 47907
o: 765-494-3509<tel:7654943509> | m: 765-491-3064<tel:7654913064> | jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>

[83324AA6]<https://www.purdue.edu/>