[Bncnews-list] UPDATED: BNC E-news for the week of April 8th

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Mon Apr 8 09:36:26 EDT 2019

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D4EDE9.DE5D5B10]

Seminars /Workshops / Events

BNC Distinguished Seminar: Professor Jim Watkins

Large Area Fabrication of Functional Polymer, Hybrid, and Inorganic Structures and Surfaces for Optical, Electronic, Energy and Health Applications<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=2014>

April 9th, 11am - 12pm in BRK 1001

Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering Distinguished Lecture Series

Mark G. Allen

April 10th, 9:30am in MJIS 1001

See attached announcement

AFM, nanoIR, Nanoindenter Workshop<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=2044>

April 18th, 8:30am - 1:00pm in BRK 1001

International Symposium of Quantum Science & Technology

April 21st, 22nd and 23rd

MRGN 121

Agenda and Registration<http://www.cvent.com/events/quantum-science-and-technology/event-summary-408831fbe4c845ac9d1e2c4dbfcd532c.aspx>

Introduction to XPS workshop

What you should know about X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=2050>

May 1st -  May 2nd, BRK 1001

XPS Lite Workshop Introduction to CasaXPS<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=2051>

May 9 - May 10, BRK 1001

Birck Events<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/index.php?view=1835> and Birck News<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/news/index.php>

BNC Spring Preventative Maintenance Shutdown - Date Change

Dear BNC Users,

We need to push our preventive maintenance closure normally scheduled for the week of April 29, 2019 back to a tentative date starting the week of June 10 lasting until June 18.

We are currently dealing with multiple major building events that involve closure of the Birck Nanotechnology Center.  We wanted to reduce the number of closures to one.  We are in the middle of a capital project with Purdue Physical Facilities Department to add lab space and upgrade chemical exhaust systems for the cleanroom.  We have 3 major building events. 1) Integration of the cleanroom chemical exhaust system involves cutting into the cleanroom chemical exhaust in four locations to connect 20,000 CFM exhaust system.  2) Fix the 3000 amp building power feed that failed on February 3 super bowl Sunday requiring shutdown of all building HVAC systems. 3) Complete the normal spring preventive maintenance activities. We need to push our preventive maintenance closure normally scheduled for the week of April 29, 2019 back to a tentative date starting the week of June 10 lasting until June 18.

The June 10 to June 18 date is tentative due to the delivery of the main exhaust fans for the cleanroom exhaust project.  The longer closure is needed to complete the 3 major events in one closure.

We will send an update when the chemical exhaust fan delivery is firmed up.

Best Regards,

Mark Voorhis

Two XPS related  workshops will be held May, 2019. It is a good practice to have at least one trained student in each research group using or planning to use Surface Analysis Characterization tools.

1) Introduction to XPS workshop - What you should know about X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (http://bit.ly/1eqIM8U), May 1-2, 2019 @ 9:00 AM - BRK 1001.

Course Description: XPS is widely used to determine the chemical composition of a surface (element concentrations, chemical states, lateral and depth distributions, etc.). Nowadays XPS has become a standard technique for the characterization of solid surfaces. The course will teach how and what information can be provided by XPS. The quantification of the XPS data will be discussed in detail (thickness calculation, coverage, atomic percentage, etc.)

Instructor: Dmitry Zemlyanov, PhD, Senior  Surface Science Application Scientist, Birck Nanotechnology Center, Purdue University

2) XPS Lite Workshop Introduction to CasaXPS (http://bit.ly/IYeOeu), May 9-10, 2019 @ 9:00 AM - BRK 1001.

Course Description: XPS is widely used to determine the chemical composition of a surface (element concentrations, chemical states, lateral and depth distributions, etc.). Nowadays XPS has become a standard technique for the characterization of solid surfaces. However, XPS data require thorough analysis using a dedicated software. Purdue University has a site license for CasaXPS allowing to perform a complete analysis of XPS data. The course aims to teach (1) what analysis should be applied to raw XPS data and (2) how this can be done using CasaXPS. Qualitative and quantitative analysis of XPS data using CasaXPS will be discussed in detail as well. Participants are encouraged to bring their own laptops to follow data analysis using CasaXPS.

Instructor: Dmitry Zemlyanov, PhD, Senior  Surface Science Application Scientist, Birck Nanotechnology Center, Purdue University (dzemlian at purdue.edu<mailto:dzemlian at purdue.edu>)