[BNC-Occupants] Copier expenditures that could be used to improve our facility---Please READ

Allain, Monica M.C. mallain at purdue.edu
Fri Mar 9 12:16:40 EST 2012

Dear BNC Occupants

The Birck Nanotechnology Center purchased three new copiers in September 2009 to support the research and administrative needs of the center. Our printing/copying expenses are approximately $30K per year. In an effort to monitor the expenditures, a review of the number of copies made by each group is provided in this email with the group name removed.  Please keep in mind the following cost/page should be considered while reviewing these graphs:

*                     Cost for a case of paper is $31.16 ($.006/page)

*                     Cost for color ($0.075/page )

*                     Cost for black and White ($0.008/page)

The first graph, showing the top users, is an accumulation of copies over two years [September 2009-January 2,2012].  As demonstrated in this graph, there are 9 units within the center that account for more than 50% of the total copies printed in the Center [757,397 copies]. The second graph represents the number of copies made over a period of two months (January 3rd-March 1, 2012).

I would like for everyone to assist us in lowering these expenditures by being conscientious of the number of copies you make. We don't want to start a policy that could affect research productivity, but on the other hand, it is good if we could use general fund resources to improve our facilities as much as we can. If you need an extensive amount of printing such as conference booklets or needed material for your courses please use Printing Services.

The BNC staff that works after hours have noticed excessive print jobs and copies made from textbooks.  This is an example of where we can make a difference in the number of copies made in the Center.  I encourage each of you to discuss this issue within each group and take proactive measures to help minimize this expenditure for all BNC users.

Let's work together to keep the Center cost low and affordable for everyone.

If you are interested in knowing your groups number to discuss at your next group meeting, please contact Angie Sigo for a group report (asigo at purdue.edu<mailto:asigo at purdue.edu>).

Thank you

Ali Shakouri

Ali Shakouri

Mary Jo and Robert L. Kirk Director

Professor of  Electrical and Computer Engineering Birck Nanotechnology Center, Room 1027 Purdue University

1205 West State Street

West Lafayette, IN 47907-2057

(765) 496-6105; Fax: (765) 496-8299

shakouri at purdue.edu<mailto:shakouri at purdue.edu>