[BNC-Occupants] Gary Frost, a retired infantry colonel and chief technology scout for the US Army¹s Rapid Equipping Force (REF): on campus January 20

Starewich, Deborah S. dstarewi at purdue.edu
Thu Jan 7 07:54:18 EST 2010

Please let Mary Jo Bartolacci ( mbartolacci at purdue.edu) know if you are interested in meeting with Colonel Frost on Wednesday, 20 January.

Thank you,
Deborah

------ Forwarded Message
From: MaryJo Bartolacci <mbartolacci at purdue.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 14:48:23 -0500
To: "Starewich, Deborah S." <dstarewi at purdue.edu>
Subject: Please share with faculty as appropriate

Happy New Year, Deborah.  Please let me know if there are Birck faculty or grad students you know who would like to meet with Gary Frost:

Below are links and my notes from my January 5 phone call with Gary Frost, a retired infantry colonel and chief technology scout for the US Army’s Rapid Equipping Force (REF).  I am creating a schedule for Gary this week. The plan at this point is for Gary to be at Purdue Research Park on the morning of January 20, and on campus in the afternoon. As always, we can be flexible to accommodate faculty schedules.

•        US Army Rapid Equipping Force http://www.ref.army.mil/portal/

•        Gary (Garland) Frost http://www.linkedin.com/pub/garland-gary-frost/9/191/731

05 January 2010 MJB/Gary Frost phone call notes:
•  Gary will fly into Indpls late on January 19 & wants to go back late on January 20.

§  REF customers are the commanders and soldiers in the field; the soldier sends an email, asking for a solution; REF looks for an off-the-shelf solution first; they always try to respond within 180 days of the soldier query.

§  Gary is the REF chief technology scout—he looks at technologies that could take as long as 12 months to get into the field.

§  When he orders, he asks for from 1-10 units and tests them in Iraq or Afghanistan in the field.

§  Re power—interested in lighter, longer lasting batteries for the soldiers’ backpacks, the “holy grail”.  Gary said each soldier carries 20-40 batteries—more if they are out in the field 3-4 days.

§  Sensors are another interest.

§  Other technologies that we showcase for his visit should be ready-to-go within the 12-month window; however, Gary said they will have some flexibility on the one year time frame.

§  The Nesch LLC technology wrt DEXI (that detects explosives & drugs on a person) is of great interest .

Mary Jo Bartolacci
Industry & Foundation Relations
Office of the Vice President for Research
  & University Development Office
Purdue University
mbartolacci at purdue.edu
765-496-3886 - Office