[BNC-grads-list] Important: NanoDays Volunteers Needed! 4/3/19 - 4/4/19

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Tue Mar 12 11:24:19 EDT 2019

Dear students,

As you know NanoDays has continued to be a very successful outreach activity for the Birck Nanotechnology Center every year, and this year is no exception. It took only a couple of weeks advertising until we filled up every available visitor slot. This year NanoDays is on Thursday and Friday, April 4th and 5th. Additionally, on Wednesday evening, April 3rd we are hosting Girl Scout troops and we're also inviting faculty, staff, and student families to join us that evening.

The success of NanoDays is heavily dependent on having many student volunteers to demonstrate the activities and interact with the visitors, perhaps inspiring them into future careers in science and engineering. We are in need of more student volunteers to help run these activities!

I encourage you to please sign up and volunteer for this year's Nanodays, we are in need of many more volunteers!!

Volunteer  Sign Up Here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSedFkdKYdqxFP2YGKbkeWTY06lVI6Yh9uGUd87pXPDEmssgYg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link>
Thank you very much!

[NanoDays: The Biggest Event for the Smallest Science]<https://www.purdue.edu/discoverypark/birck/events/NanoDays/index.php>

Purdue's Birck Nanotechnology Center has an exciting volunteer opportunity for students!

Participants will have the opportunity to:

*         Gain professional experience explaining scientific concepts to people from non-technical backgrounds.

*         Support the future of STEM programs by introducing grade schoolers and high school students to the miniscule world of atoms, molecules, and nanoscale forces.

*         Participate with other students/researchers in a nationwide festival celebrating nanotechnology science and education.

Since 2010, the Birck Nanotechnology Center at Discovery Park has participated in NISE NanoDays, a program that promotes science and technology education nationwide. Volunteers will staff activity stations and assist visitors as they investigate different scientific concepts. Some example activities for 2017 include static electricity, DNA, and ultraviolet light. No prior knowledge is required to volunteer, just an enthusiasm for science and science education.

Volunteers can attend any or all of the available shifts (04/03/19 - 04/05/19). Free NanoDays T-shirt and food will be provided to Volunteers.

Training is mandatory and will be provided in the Birck atrium on Tuesday, 04/02/19. A pizza party will be held from 5:00 PM to 5:30 PM, training will follow from 5:30 PM to 6:00 PM, and unstructured familiarization with the activities can be done from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM.

If the training schedule does not work for you, or if you have any questions, you may contact volunteer coordinator Rich Hosler (hosler0 at purdue.edu<mailto:hosler0 at purdue.edu>) and Justin Wirth (jcwirth at purdue.edu<mailto:jcwirth at purdue.edu>)

Sign Up Here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSedFkdKYdqxFP2YGKbkeWTY06lVI6Yh9uGUd87pXPDEmssgYg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link>

Thanks you!

2019 Nanodays Committee
Jaime Turner
Administrative Assistant to the Director
Birck Nanotechnology Center | Room 1027 | W. Lafayette, IN
Office:  765.494.3509 | Fax: 765.496.8383 | Email: jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>

[https://www.purdue.edu/brand/images/Purdue_University-150_Years_of_Giant_Leaps.png]
www.purdue.edu/giantleaps<http://www.purdue.edu/giantleaps>