[BNC-grads-list] FW: PAL Service Alert

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Tue Jan 23 15:38:16 EST 2018

From: Kercher-Updike, Julie D [mailto:jkercher at purdue.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2018 3:25 PM
To: Turner, Jaime J <jjbiggs at purdue.edu>
Subject: PAL Service Alert

I am writing to update you on a recent issue with access to PAL, the campus wireless system, which ITaP is working diligently to resolve. We are aware that some people are having difficulty connecting to the PAL network on the West Lafayette campus. On any given day, there are more than 36,000 devices connected to PAL. As of this morning, we are seeing 96 percent of the devices connecting and are cautiously optimistic that we are resolving the issue.

I want to assure you that ITaP staff and high-level CISCO engineers are on-site working to troubleshoot this issue. In some cases, the troubleshooting requires complete disruptions in service, but we are trying to limit these disruptions.

Our investigation thus far is pointing to a problem with the way authentication is taking place. Individuals connected to PAL in a single location appear to stay connected. However, those who roam from one place to another require re-authentication. In some instances, re-authentication happens seamlessly. In others it may take more than three or four tries to get connected.

We have found that these workarounds help in many cases:

  *   Use the Eduroam network instead of PAL: Purdue users can connect to Eduroam by entering their Purdue email address as their user name (username at purdue.edu<mailto:username at purdue.edu>) and their Purdue password. Instructions for connecting to Eduroam with multiple devices and operating systems can be found at https://www.purdue.edu/goldanswers/308500.
  *   Remove then re-add PAL: In the wireless settings on your device, forget or delete PAL as the preferred wireless network. Then re-select PAL from the list of available networks. This may take a few tries before the PAL connection is restored. If it doesn't work on the second try, wait 10 minutes and try again.
  *   If you continue to have connection issues, please call the ITaP Customer Service Center at 44000, email itap at purdue.edu<mailto:ITaP at purdue.edu>, or visit the walk-in help desks in the HSSE Library or WALC.
We continue to closely monitor the situation and will continue aggressive troubleshooting in trying to reach 100% connectivity.

Thank you for your patience,

Julie

Julie Kercher-Updike
AVP of IT Process Management, & Deputy CIO
Purdue University
765.496.2272<tel:765.496.2272>
 www.itap.purdue.edu<http://www.itap.purdue.edu>