[BNC-grads-list] Bio+Nano Journal Club Kick-off from NSAC

Emroz Khan khan176 at purdue.edu
Fri Sep 29 14:31:26 EDT 2017

Dear all,

It's my pleasure to announce that NSAC is going to resume its Journal Club activity starting next week.

The theme for this semester would be "Bio+Nano". We believe there is a lot of overlap in terms of research and goal orientation between Bioscience and Nanotechnology, and the talks aim to bridge the two communities from Birck and Bindley so that we can learn what the fundamental problems are and what solution is technologically possible.

The first talk will be given by Rohil Jain (from Prof. Cagri Savran's group). He will be presenting a brief review of technical aspects of detecting circulating tumor cells (http://www.sciencedirect.com.ezproxy.lib.purdue.edu/science/article/pii/S0305737209000395). The paper is attached to this email.

As previously, some key features of this journal club would be:

- Each session would be around 30-45 mins long.
- The speakers will be those who are currently active in this field. Most of them will be from Bindley Bioscience Center.
- A recent paper of substantial impact would be walked through. (Discussion of own research is reserved for NSAC coffee hours)
- At least first 10-15 mins will be allocated for common understanding so that people with no background has some takeaway.
- The relevant paper will be emailed to everyone at least a couple of days before the talk.
- There will be refreshments.

We will be sending out subsequent announcements regarding the Journal club to bnc-grad list only. If you are a visiting scholar or faculty who would like to get updates about the journal club, please sign up using the following link: