[BNC-grads-list] Network subnet transition in all Birck graduate student offices

Al Mondero mondero at ecn.purdue.edu
Wed Jul 25 08:57:40 EDT 2012

Birck Graduate Students:

All Birck graduate student offices are changing network subnets.  This
means that all IP addresses, and in some cases hostnames, will need to
be changed.

What this means:  Your computer or server, which has the IP address of
either 128.46.220.* or 128.46.221.* ranges will change to something in
the 128.46.222.* range.

What this could possibly affect:  Any remote access (Remote Desktop,
file services, remote X display, etc.).  Hostnames of PCs that moved
from one room to another without ECN notification will probably
receive a hostname change to match the room the machine is currently
residing.

If you have a named UNIX/Linux server (such as hinet1 or hinet2), the
names will stay the same, the IP address is the only thing that will
change.*

Why this is being done:  Currently, the two active network VLANs in
Birck are the 128.46.220.* and 128.46.221.* networks.  Those networks
are running out of free addresses.  The addition of the .222 VLAN to
Birck makes available 200 network addresses, all of which will be used
by Birck's graduate offices.  The old network addresses in the older
two VLANs will be recycled and made available to faculty, staff,
printers, and labs.

Will this affect any of Birck's established rules for computers and
networking:  No.  Desktops still need to have registered IP/hostnames
and be plugged into the wired network.  Laptops still need to go
through PAL.  If you have any questions as to the established rules of
bringing in computers into graduate offices, please see Mary Jo Totten.

How the transition will be performed:  ECN will attempt to convert
four offices per day to the new subnet once the PICs for the new
subnet have been activated.  ECN-supported PCs will have network
adjustments taken care of by ECN staff, but during this transitional
period, if you are going to be away from your PC for longer than 30
minutes, please log off so that we can log in to change network
settings.  Self-supported machines will need to be configured by their
respective owners, .  Changes will be made during normal business
hours.  If you have a self-supported PC and you are not at your desk
when we make adjustments, we will leave a note for you with your new
IP address and hostname (if a new hostname is needed).

Timeframe:  As soon as PICs are active, we will start transitioning
each room, starting with the first floor.  Again, this will be done
during normal business hours.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let us know via
ECN Trouble Report:
https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/TroubleReport/

*hinet users:  delayed arrangements for network changes have already
been agreed upon with your professor