[Bnc-faculty-all-list] Webinar by Prof. Mahdi Hosseini (Purdue) on "From Shannon’s Bit to Bennett’s Qubit"

Gupta, Sumeet Kumar guptask at purdue.edu
Thu Sep 2 23:24:05 EDT 2021

>From Shannon’s Bit to Bennett’s Qubit
How to build fundamentally secure communication networks and exquisite imaging systems using quantum light?

Prof. Mahdi Hosseini

Purdue University

Thursday, September 9, 2021

10 AM-11 AM • https://purdue-edu.zoom.us/j/3164232249

Abstract

Single optical or atomic particles can exhibit quantum properties with fundamentally interesting behavior. The transition from single-particle to many-particle quantum systems is a realization limiting many real-world quantum applications. In this talk, I will provide an introduction to quantum optical information and its application in secure communication and imaging. I will describe our experimental research in two areas of quantum communication and quantum imaging. I will show that by implanting arrays of ions into micro photonic devices, we can engineer light-atom interactions to harness collective and coherent light emission and absorption. I will also present some of our preliminary work in developing new multi-mode quantum light sources tailored for quantum imaging applications. I will also briefly introduce some of our new efforts in the areas of quantum programming and quantum education.

Bio

Mahdi Hosseini is an Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Purdue University. He completed his Ph.D. and postdoctoral studies at Australian National University (2012) and Massachusetts Institute of Technology (2016), respectively. He joined Purdue in Aug 2016. His current research projects include developing cryogenic quantum optical memories and rare earth nanophotonics for quantum communication and developing room-temperature light-atom interfaces for quantum optical imaging and sensing.

Host
Sumeet Kumar Gupta, guptask at purdue.edu, 765 494 3484