[Bnc-faculty-all-list] REMINDER: BNC Faculty Seminar Series - Presenter: Tongcang Li - Today 10/17 @ 12noon in BRK 2001

Black, Nancy Lee blackn at purdue.edu
Thu Oct 17 08:01:49 EDT 2019

REMINDER: BNC Faculty Seminar Today, 10/17 @ 12:00pm (Lunch Provided) in BRK 2001 – Presenter is Prof. Tongcang Li

Dear all,

The next BNC Faculty Seminar will be tomorrow Thursday, 10/17 @ 12pm (lunch provided) in BRK 2001.  Professor Tongcang Li will be our first presenter for the Fall Semester Series.

Tongcang Li<http://www.physics.purdue.edu/people/faculty/tcli.php>, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy and Electrical and Computer Engineering  will present a brief overview of his work on precision measurements and quantum sensing for the first half then the remainder will be open for questions and high-level discussion of collaboration opportunities that can lead to future center of excellence and/or also brainstorm about a shared vision for Birck.

Precision measurements and quantum sensing with optomechanical systems and quantum emitters

I will give a brief overview of our works on precision measurements and quantum sensing. In 2018, we optically levitated a nanodumbbell and drove it to rotate beyond 60 billion revolutions per minute, which was the fastest nanorotor in the world. This work was selected as one of the APS Physics top 10 “Highlights of the Year” of 2018 by the American Physical Society. With an optically levitated nanoparticle, we developed the world’s most sensitive torque detector and measured a torque as small as 10-27 Nm, which is several orders of magnitudes smaller than the former world record. Besides, we have built a dual-cantilever atomic force microscope (AFM) in vacuum and measured the Casimir force. We also used diamond nitrogen-vacancy centers for quantum sensing of magnetic field, temperature, and beyond. We have collaborated with colleagues in biomedical engineering and developed the axial plane single-molecule super-resolution microscopy.

Please find below the BNC Fall Faculty Seminar Series Schedule.

Date
Faculty
Topic
10/17/19
Tongcang Li
Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy and Electrical and Computer Engineering
Precision measurement and quantum sensing
10/24/19
Miko Cakmak
Reilly Professor of Materials and Mechanical Engineering
Nanomanufacturing
10/31/19
Babak Anasori
Assistant Professor, Dept of Mechanical and Energy Engineering, IUPUI
2D Transition Metal Carbides and Nitrides (MXenes):
Advances, Challenges, and Opportunities
11/7/19
Hugh Lee
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
Implantable Microsystems
11/14/19
Amy Marconett
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
***Alternate Time: 12:30pm - 1:30pm***
Thermal and Energy Conversion
11/21/19
Wenzhuo Wu
Ravi and Eleanor Talwar Rising Star Assistant Professor of Industrial Engineering
Innovating nanotechnologies through the design, nanomanufacturing, and integration of functional materials with controlled composition and architecture across multiple length scales.  Applications in sensing, renewable energy, electronics and wearable devices.
11/28/19
Thanksgiving Break
12/5/19
Luna Lu
Associate Professor of Civil Engineering with courtesy appointmen in Materials Science and Engineering
Sustainable Materials and Renewable Technology
12/12/19
Finals Week

Thank you!

Jaime Turner

Administrative Assistant to the Director

Birck Nanotechnology Center | Room 1027 | W. Lafayette, IN

Office:  765.494.3509 | Fax: 765.496.8383 | Email: jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>

[https://www.purdue.edu/brand/images/Purdue_University-150_Years_of_Giant_Leaps.png]

www.purdue.edu/giantleaps<http://www.purdue.edu/giantleaps>