[Bnc-faculty-all-list] BNC Faculty Seminar Series - Presenter: Tongcang Li - Thurs., 10/17 @ 12noon in BRK 2001

Turner, Jaime J jjbiggs at purdue.edu
Mon Oct 14 12:04:04 EDT 2019

Dear all,

The next BNC Faculty Seminar will be this Thursday, 10/17 @ 12pm (lunch provided) in BRK 2001.  Professor Tongcang Li will be our first presenter for the Fall Semester Series.

Tongcang Li<http://www.physics.purdue.edu/people/faculty/tcli.php>, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy and Electrical and Computer Engineering  will present a brief overview of his work on precision measurements and quantum sensing for the first half then the remainder will be open for questions and high-level discussion of collaboration opportunities that can lead to future center of excellence and/or also brainstorm about a shared vision for Birck.

Precision measurements and quantum sensing with optomechanical systems and quantum emitters

I will give a brief overview of our works on precision measurements and quantum sensing. In 2018, we optically levitated a nanodumbbell and drove it to rotate beyond 60 billion revolutions per minute, which was the fastest nanorotor in the world. This work was selected as one of the APS Physics top 10 “Highlights of the Year” of 2018 by the American Physical Society. With an optically levitated nanoparticle, we developed the world’s most sensitive torque detector and measured a torque as small as 10-27 Nm, which is several orders of magnitudes smaller than the former world record. Besides, we have built a dual-cantilever atomic force microscope (AFM) in vacuum and measured the Casimir force. We also used diamond nitrogen-vacancy centers for quantum sensing of magnetic field, temperature, and beyond. We have collaborated with colleagues in biomedical engineering and developed the axial plane single-molecule super-resolution microscopy.

Thank you!

Jaime Turner

Administrative Assistant to the Director

Birck Nanotechnology Center | Room 1027 | W. Lafayette, IN

Office:  765.494.3509 | Fax: 765.496.8383 | Email: jjturner at purdue.edu<mailto:jjturner at purdue.edu>

[https://www.purdue.edu/brand/images/Purdue_University-150_Years_of_Giant_Leaps.png]

www.purdue.edu/giantleaps<http://www.purdue.edu/giantleaps>